Calvin on regeneration & faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I was recently told by someone that Calvin in certain writings (I think espically in his commentaries) spoke of regeneration preceding faith and in other spots speaks as if faith precedes regeneration. Does any one know if this is true? I have always assumed that Calvin view was that of regeneration preceeding faith, since that is the Reformed position. This seems very similar to Calvin's views on the atonement. I have seen statements of Calvin that would support limited atonement and others that seem to promote a view of unlimited atonement. Is this double speak on the part of Calvin or just good exegesis based on context. I believe the latter is true but would like to hear your thoughts. Blessings!

Matthew,
It would help if you had some actual citations so we could refer to.

It is very hard, at times to read between the lines; many theologians use the term 'regeneration' to denote the whole of the ordo. For example, if Calvin meant, conversion, faith would precede conversion.

In my estimation, it has been quite difficult to sift through this verbiage. Regeneration happens outside of anything other than God's good pleasure to the elect. Hence, regeneration would precede faith; This can happen at infancy. Some people, many reformed see this as the internal call; I do not. I see regeneration as a completely independent action, i.e. like the wind blowing (John 3). As this child grows and sits under teaching and preaching, the eyes that have been enlightened at regeneration allow for the assent to biblical truth. The preacher makes the outward call/the HS accompanies the outward call with the inward call and the person is converted. Faith, in this instance, would precede conversion.

Possibly, that helps.

I've encountered this in my reading of Calvin too. It's happened more often in the Reformed tradition that "regeneration" is used when what's really meant is "sanctification." I prefer to keep "regeneration" as a term referring to the initial act of God bringing life to the dead sinner (preceding faith), and "sanctification" as the term for the process of growing in holiness. It helps to keep things clear in our thinking. After all, if regeneration is monergistic and sanctification isn't, then we get some serious theological issues if we mix them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back