Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion (Battles Edition) Vol. I

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
I plan to list quotes from by first reading of the institutes that I find devotional (similar to my reading through Brakel’s Systematic). I hope others can enjoy and find encouragement to read Calvin’s Institutes. I chose the Battles Westminster Press edition because it was a free gift from a former Pastor and current friend of mine. The goal is at least once per Lord’s Day (China Time).

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
From Calvin’s Prefatory Address To King Francis pg. 24 - 25:

Our controversy turns on these hinges: first, they contend that the form of the church is always apparent and observable. Secondly, they set this form in the see of the Roman Church and its hierarchy. We, on the contrary, affirm that the church can exist without any visible appearance, and that its appearance is not contained within that outward magnificence which they foolishly admire. Rather, it has quite another mark: namely, the pure preaching of God’s Word and the lawful administration of the sacraments. They rage if the church cannot always be pointed to with the finger. But among the Jewish people how often was it so deformed that no semblance of it remained? What form do we think it displayed when Elijah complained that he alone was left [1 Kings 19:10, or 14]? How long after Christ’s coming was it hidden without form? How often has it since that time been so oppressed by wars, seditions, and heresies that it did not shine forth at all? If they had lived at that time, would they have believed that any church existed? But Elijah heard that there still remained seven thousand men who had not bowed the knee before Baal. And we must not doubt that Christ has reigned on earth ever since he ascended into heaven.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Freshman
I plan to list quotes from by first reading of the institutes that I find devotional (similar to my reading through Brakel’s Systematic). I hope others can enjoy and find encouragement to read Calvin’s Institutes. I chose the Battles Westminster Press edition because it was a free gift from a former Pastor and current friend of mine. The goal is at least once per Lord’s Day (China Time).
If this is going to be an ongoing thing; you might want to download Logos Basic for free and purchase the Westminster edition. They have it on sale this month for $9.99. It will make quoting and referencing it much easier, simply copy and paste.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Freshman
Also, I do not think, but I could be wrong, that you have to download the program. You could use solely the web-app and simply purchase and it should download right to that library to use anywhere internet is available.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter II - What It Is To Know God, And What Purpose The Knowledge of Him Tends / pg. 42:
For how can the thought of God penetrate your mind without your realizing immediately that, since you are his handiwork, you have been made over and bound to his command by right of creation, that you owe your life to him? – that whatever you undertake, whatever you do, ought to be ascribed to him? If this be so, it now assuredly follows that your life is wickedly corrupt unless it be disposed to his service, seeing that his will ought for us to be the law by which we live. Again, you cannot behold him clearly unless you acknowledge him to be the fountainhead and source of every good. From this too would arise the desire to cleave to him and trust in him, but for the fact that man’s depravity seduces his mind from rightly seeking him.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter V: 6. The Creator reveals his lordship over the creation, pg. 58-59
Let us therefore remember, whenever each of us contemplates his own nature, that there is one God who so governs all natures that he would have us look unto him, direct our faith in him, and worship and call upon him. For nothing is more preposterous than to enjoy the very remarkable gifts that attest the divine nature within us, yet to overlook the Author who gives them to us at our asking. With what clear manifestations his mind draws us to contemplate him! Unless perchance it be unknown to us in whose power it lies to sustain this infinite mass of heaven and earth by his Word: by his nod alone sometimes to shake heaven with thunderbolts, to burn everything with lightnings, to kindle the air with flashes; sometimes to disturb it with various sorts of storms, and then at his pleasure to clear them away in a moment; to compel the sea, which by its height seems to threaten the earth with continual destruction, to hang as if in mid-air; sometimes to arouse it in a dreadful way with the tumultuous force of winds; sometimes, with waves quieted, to make it calm again!

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter VII- 4. The witness of the Holy Spirit: this is stronger than all proof, pg. 79

Yet they who strive to build up firm faith in Scripture through disputation are doing things backwards. For my part, although I do not excel either in great dexterity or eloquence, if I were struggling against the most crafty sort of despisers of God, who seek to appear shrewd and witty and disparaging Scripture, I am confident it would not be difficult for me to silence their clamorous voices. And if it were a useful labor to refute there cavils, I would with no great trouble shatter the boasts they mutter in their lurking places. But even if anyone clears God‘s Sacred Word from man’s evil speaking, he will not at once imprint upon their hearts that certainty which piety requires. Since for unbelieving men religion seems to stand by opinion alone, they, in order not to believe anything foolishly or lightly, both wish and demand rational proof that Moses and the prophets spoke divinely. But I reply: the testimony of the spirit is more excellent than all reason. For as God alone is a fit witness of himself in his Word, so also the Word will not find acceptance in men’s hearts before it is sealed by the inward testimony of the Spirit.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter IX - 3. Word and Spirit belong inseparably together, pg. 95
For by a kind of mutual bond the Lord has joined together the certainty of his Word and of his Spirit so that the perfect religion of the Word may abide in our minds when the Spirit, who causes us to contemplate God’s face, shines; and that we in turn may embrace the Spirit with no fear of being deceived when we recognize him in his own image, namely, in the Word. So indeed it is. God did not bring forth his Word among men for the sake of a momentary display, intending at the coming of his Spirit to abolish it. Rather, he sent down the same Spirit by whose power he had dispensed the Word, to complete his work by the efficacious confirmation of the Word.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter XI - I. We are forbidden every pictorial representation of God, pg. 100
Meanwhile, since this brute stupidity gripped the whole world – to pant after visible figures of God, and thus to form gods of wood, stone, gold, silver, or other dead and corruptible matter – we must clean to this principle: God’s glory is corrupted by an impious falsehood whenever any form is attached to him. Therefore in the law, after having claimed for himself alone the glory of deity, when he would teach what worship he approves or repudiates, God soon adds, “You shall not make for yourself a graven image, nor any likeness” [Ex. 20:4]. By these words he restrains our waywardness from trying to represent him by any visible image, and briefly enumerates all those forms by which superstition long ago began to turn his truth into falsehood. For we know that the Persians worshiped the sun; all the stars they saw in the heavens the stupid pagans also fashioned into gods for themselves. There was almost no animal that for the Egyptians was not the figure of a god. Indeed, the Greeks seemed to be wise above the rest, because they worshiped God in human form. But God does not compare these images with one another, as if one were more suitable, another less so; but without exception he repudiates all likenesses, pictures, and other signs by which the superstitious have thought he will be near them.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter XIII - I. God’s nature is immeasurable and spiritual, pg. 121
For who even of slight intelligence does not understand that, as nurses commonly do with infants, God is wont in a measure to “lisp“ in speaking to us? Thus such forms of speaking do not so much express clearly what God is like as accommodate the knowledge of him to our slight capacity. To do this he must descend far beneath his loftiness.

Smeagol

Puritan Board Graduate
Chapter XIII - 7. The deity of the Word, pg. 129
Indeed, because Christ had not yet been manifested, it is necessary to understand the Word as begotten of the Father before time [cf. Eccles. 24:14, Vg.]. But if that Spirit, whose organs were the prophets, was the Spirit of the Word, we infer without any doubt that he was truly God. And Moses clearly teaches this in the creation of the universe, setting forth this Word as intermediary. For why does he expressly tell us that God in his individual acts of creation spoke, Let this or that be done [Gen. ch. 1] unless so that the unsearchable glory of God may shine forth in his image? It would be easy for censorious babblers to get around this, saying that the Word is to be understood as a bidding and command. But the apostles are better interpreters, who teach that the world was made through the Son, and that he upholds all things by his powerful word [Heb. 1:2-3]. For here we see the Word understood as the order or mandate of the Son, who is himself the eternal and essential Word of the Father.