Calvin-Farel Correspondence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCalvinist

Puritan Board Senior
Hi folks.

In the process of hunting down some references and - if possible - the correspondence between Calvin and Farel where Calvin said:

"Servetus wrote to me a short time ago, and sent a huge volume of his dreamings and pompous triflings with his letter. I was to find among them wonderful things, and such as I had never before seen; and if I wished, he would himself come. But I am by no means inclined to be responsible for him; and if he come, I will never allow him, supposing my influence worth anything, to depart alive."

I'd also like some additional quotes from him to Servetus.

Originally posted by OS_X
Hi folks.

In the process of hunting down some references and - if possible - the correspondence between Calvin and Farel where Calvin said:

"Servetus wrote to me a short time ago, and sent a huge volume of his dreamings and pompous triflings with his letter. I was to find among them wonderful things, and such as I had never before seen; and if I wished, he would himself come. But I am by no means inclined to be responsible for him; and if he come, I will never allow him, supposing my influence worth anything, to depart alive."

I'd also like some additional quotes from him to Servetus.
Kerry,

This quote from Calvin here is found in his letter to Farel, dated February 13, 1546 and is numbered #154 in vol. 5 of his Selected Writings. The text I have is a different translation...
Servetus lately wrote to me, and coupled with his letter a long volume of his delirious fancies, with the Thrasonic boast, that I should see something astonishing and unheard of. He takes it upon him to come hither, if it be agreeable to me. But I am unwilling to pledge my word for his safety, for if he shall come, I shall never permit him to depart alive, provided my authority be of any avail.

I'm unclear on what you may desire additionally, and not even sure if I can help you if clarified for me.

Blessings,
DTK

Thanks. :) Found some other stuff, so it's been a busy writing day for me, refuting the nonsenses of Dan Corner. I'm going to clean up the material and make it an article on my site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back