Calvin and Limited Atonement

Discussion in 'Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace' started by Backwoods Presbyterian, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

Can anyone point me to some citations from the Institutes or other writings by Calvin that show definitively that Calvin believed in Limited Atonement?

Thanks!!!

2. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

bump

3. panta dokimazete

panta dokimazete Panting Donkey Machete

have you read this?

4. panta dokimazete

From Calvin's commentaries - Romans 5:15

5. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

Just a point of clarification for the casual popcorn munchers: as JD indicated with the "Ed." at the end, the quote is an editorial comment and not Calvin's words on Romans 5:15.

6. JohnOwen007

JohnOwen007 Puritan Board Sophomore

Scholars are divided on whether Calvin adhered to LA. (For a good succinct and clear summary of the debate see Andrew McGowan's book The Federal Theological of Thomas Boston). Part of the problem is reading a more developed understanding of particular redemption (of say Owen) back into the earlier Calvin. Sure, the topic had been debated before (e.g. Gottschalk) and during (e.g. Bucer) Calvin's life; he was aware of issues surrounding the extent of the atonement. However, the tradition continued to develop after him.

It's clear to me that Calvin didn't fit the Owenian schema. See all of these quotations here.

7. Gesetveemet

Gesetveemet Puritan Board Freshman

8. JohnOwen007

JohnOwen007 Puritan Board Sophomore

Helm's argument, in my opinion, is limited. He has some good thoughts but as I see it his problem is twofold:

[1] He reads later developed ideas back into Calvin.

[2] He doesn't take into account many many sayings of Calvin that disprove his thesis.

McGowan's rendition of the debate is excellent. Helm jumped into the debate fairly early on. Much water has flowed under the bridge since then.

Cheers.

9. panta dokimazete

I thought this was interesting: from his commentaries 1 John 2:2:

10. Marrow Man

Marrow Man Drunk with Powder

Ben, I believe Robert Peterson's Calvin and the Atonement (I believe that is the name, going on memory) would also be profitable for you to read on this subject.

11. mybigGod

mybigGod Puritan Board Freshman

The difference in Calvin is the amount of time he talks about this. Maybe he acknowledged it to be true but its not really discussed in his other writings on election. Its not a staple arguement for him like it is in the modern day discussion on the doctrine of election.
    I listen all the time on cd to his election and reprobation. I dont believe by his acknowlegement that he embraced the idea as a staple argument.

I think its sorta like his discussion on free will. One has the freedom to choose for himself under the bondage of sin. He says if you want to call that will free then go ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.