Call the sabbath a delight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it too. For those who are not Sabbatarians it won't help you a bit. Greenbaggins, Lane, has a much better and convincing stance on this matter on his site. :2cents:

Because I was a non-Sabbatarian looking for answers and saw so many mistakes. Even now that I am a Sabbatarian I would not suggest this book. He makes mistakes and it just gives the non-Sabbatarian ammunition.

Josh, just because I come to PB doesn't mean I have to leave my :2cents: behind. This is my opinion which might be useful to some non-Sabbatarians. If I hadn't said anything about it and they did read it, then afterwards they might think, "See, I knew they had no biblical ground on which to stand". However, they might remember how I thought it wasn't convincing and they would go looking for better material.

Josh, you missed the :2cents: in my post which means...."my opinion" not "a universal fact that cannot be disproved". I'm not going to argue with you.

Here's another you might try. This one kind of pushed me over the edge:
The Holy Sabbath

The Holy Sabbath

by Arthur W. Pink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREFACE

“This is the day which the LORD hath made,” and therefore it is peculiarly and pre-eminently “the Lord’s Day,” and so it is expressly denominated in Revelation 1:10. It is the day which the Lord made specially for this Christian dispensation, namely, the first of the week. It is the day which has been made forever memorable by loosing the Redeemer from the pains of death. It is now the day in which His people are to celebrate the Saviour’s victory over the sepulchre. And therefore Christians must exclaim, “we will rejoice and be glad in it”: not only because of its appointment, but because of its occasion, for Christ’s resurrection was both for His own honour and for our salvation. Holy mirth, then, should fill our hearts at this season: Sabbath Days ought to be unto us as foretastes of Heaven itself. Then let us welcome each weekly return of it, and duly tune our hearts to show forth His praises therein.—A.W.P.

And, Sarah, lest I be misunderstood, I mean no offense, Sister. Please forgive me, if I have come across in poor manner.

I can see your point. I'm sure my great dislike of this book showed through somewhat. I just want others to get good info because the Sabbath is an important subject. Lane really helped me and I would like others to be helped by him.

I read it too. For those who are not Sabbatarians it won't help you a bit.

It would be helpful if you would provide a specific criticism of the book, where one of his argument is faulty, or why he fails to make his point.

Nope, I read it over a year ago and I can't remember everything that was wrong with it and I really don't want to read it again in order to show his mistakes. I was just putting in my two cents...others can read it and form their own opinion. I wasn't trying to convince others not to read it....I was just give a warning.

I read it too. For those who are not Sabbatarians it won't help you a bit.

It would be helpful if you would provide a specific criticism of the book, where one of his argument is faulty, or why he fails to make his point.

Nope, I read it over a year ago and I can't remember everything that was wrong with it and I really don't want to read it again in order to show his mistakes.

In which case, probably better to hold the non-specific criticism, especially after one who just read it recommends it.

At most, you might have said, "I read it some time ago; didn't impress me; I don't remember why."

Nope, I read it over a year ago and I can't remember everything that was wrong with it and I really don't want to read it again in order to show his mistakes.

In which case, probably better to hold the non-specific criticism, especially after one who just read it recommends it.

At most, you might have said, "I read it some time ago; didn't impress me; I don't remember why."

Nope, I distinctly remember not liking it because of errors I found.

I never claimed to give an indepth critique of the book. I don't know of anyone who has who likes the book. If I need to give an indepth critique of the book, then those who like it should do likewise. But we aren't because it's not needed. People who read the book can just keep in mind that some people liked it and some didn't. I'm not sure why that's a wrong thing.

I liked the book. So there. :cool:

No, I mean give an indepth critique. People can like the book...that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to like it. I just started out with my opinion and ending with it. :) Some people might appreciate my opinion...maybe.

Just funnin' ya, Sarah!:lol:

BTW, Walt goes to my church. His son Tom is my pastor.

So you know Jim B. from Old Truth??? PM me about him!

I read it too. For those who are not Sabbatarians it won't help you a bit. Greenbaggins, Lane, has a much better and convincing stance on this matter on his site. :2cents:

I make a point of not picking fights with Administrators, particularly when they hail from Arkansas and Texas! Nobody from the "Whole Hog Cafe" and "Catfish Hole" state can be anything but omniscient (or at least incredibly omnisatiated and well-fed). So, far be it for me to step into the crossfire over the Chantry book. I will say that I have never seen a piece by Chantry that was not satisfying. So, thanks, James for the tip. I will add it to my "to read" list.

I do attempt to be a life-long learner. So, in that vein, thanks, Sarah, for your wonderful suggestion about the items on the sabbath on Lane's blog. Indeed, he has some excellent material on the sabbath and it was a real find. On so many topics, Lane is my ideal of the pastor-scholar, and this one is no different. Those Westminster guys are sneaky smart and amazingly pastoral too! What a combo! One of my favorite profs in college was a Westminster grad who combined scholarship with piety in a marvelous way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back