But one thing is needful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have much to do in my life as working full-time, paying bills, and all the usual stuff, by grace, Mary's way has been my way for the past seven years. I consider the 35 or 40 years before that pretty much lost. Though everything surely is working for our good in every way, yet it is only those granted the likeness of "Mary," that the Lord dispenses to some, who will be the real gainers in the next life, though suffering the loss of many things in this life.

I don't know that I'd like to have been named Sue, but Mary? That name, I would wear proudly. (there I go with that darn pride again).

See my signature for loss and gain in this world in preparation for the next.

Ed

I got to teach on this passage a few weeks ago, and had a great discussion with the 9- and 10-year-olds.

Most believers I know, including children, consider themselves to be Marthas—and they feel some shame or unease over this. But I like how Jesus not only affirms Mary but notices Martha's heart and speaks to her lovingly, inviting her to join in enjoying "the good portion" which will not be taken away. This is not the portion received under Joshua, but rather the perfect and lasting portion we sing of in the Psalms: "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup" (Psalm 16:5). "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26).

I've long found consolation in this passage and love reading commentary on it.

I've often felt that there's an unspoken Martha ideal, especially for Christian women, of knowing exactly what's needed in any given domestic or social situation. I'm not much like that at all (though I suppose I've grown in that way as I've gotten older and taken responsibility for my own household) and have tended to feel lacking next to people like that. So Jesus' words are a special comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back