Bought some 1650 Metrical Psalters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Pretty excited. I bought some Metrical Psalters today at: Trinitarian Bible Society - The Word of God Among All Nations

Great price (check under other Publications). They also print it in the back of some of the Bibles they sell if you want to buy it "all in one".

Anyhow, my family sings the Psalms every night and, with small children that cannot read, we move pretty slowly as the kids memorize the songs. It's kind of nice to have kids who desire to sing the Psalms at night before bed.

Anyhow, I got to one of the new Psalms and realized how complicated the tune was and remembered a discusion here about how the 1650 Psalter is written in common meter.

I was even more excited to find a bunch of 1650 Psalter resources here: Psalm Singing - Metrical Psalters and Tunes to Sing Psalms

And especially happy that this has a ton of Common Meter and Common Meter Double tunes are available here: Psalms in Metre for Christian Worship

I know this might be no news for many here, and I'm sure this is all posted here but I wanted to share my personal excitement because Sonya and I love singing these songs with the kids and this will facilitate the desire that our kids memorize the Psalms.

I have been considering ordering from TBS as well. I will probably order one of the KJV reference Bibles that includes the metrical psalms as well as maybe one of the hardcover psalters as well.

Rich, what psalter have you been using up until now?

I have been considering ordering from TBS as well. I will probably order one of the KJV reference Bibles that includes the metrical psalms as well as maybe one of the hardcover psalters as well.

Rich, what psalter have you been using up until now?

The Book of Psalms for Singing. It's not that I dislike it but I really like the idea of Common Metre and my children learning the Psalms more easily. Interestingly, Psalm 1 in the Book of Psalms for Singing is reproduced exactly from the Metrical Psalter.

My daughter's favorite is Psalm 2. She always asks to sing "Why do Heathen Nations" :lol:

James always wants to sing "The Good Dreams Song" (Psalm 3). The Book of Psalms for Singing has that set to the tune of Amazing Grace.

Chloë's favorite is 133A, but that's because with the infrequency with which I get to keep her, we're learning different Psalms very slowly. She also likes 118A, and we've been singing portions of Psalm 51 as well.

Are you using the 1650 as well?

I have had a couple of pastors (one PCA, one OPC) recommend the Trinity Psalter.

Thanks for the note about Jaybird. I knew he put together midis but I'm sort of a binary guy and don't always notice things until I notice them. :lol:

:up:

My family sings exclusively from the Psalter every night in family worship and use The Book of Psalms for Singing because it is the same Psalter our church uses.

However, my friend just recently picked up a split leaf 1650 Scottish Psalter for me while he was visiting a Free Church of Scotland Continuing church a couple of weeks ago. Thinking I will use this Psalter primarily for Private and Family worship, I bought a leather cover for it at Renaissance Art. I am all set! :book2: :sing:

My kids favorites seem to be Psalm 2, 4B, 40E, 91, and 150A

I especially like the tunes to 91 and 145C.

I have had a couple of pastors (one PCA, one OPC) recommend the Trinity Psalter.

The Trinity Psalter is very similar to the Book of Psalms for Singing.

Thanks Andrew. Busy day and the Librarian was asleep when I posted this. I was thinking, just the other day, that I wanted to find a thread where I first read about the 1650 being in Common Metre but then I never took the time to find it. I know I Admin this board but you have it better organized than me even though I have all the back end access. :lol:

That's great, Rich. We have a single solitary copy of the Book of Psalms for Singing, and one of the Blue Banner Comprehensive Psalter. Now that we're on the verge of having two young readers, we probably need to buy some more :)

Great Rich! They are very nice editions. Enjoy. And may the Lord bless your family as you allow the word of Christ to dwell in you richly singing psalms hymns and spiritual songs!

Rich,

I am soooo encouraged whenever I see this kind of interest in the 1650.

Yep, the MIDI's I uploaded are still in that folder you set it up for me some time back.

Any questions shoot me an email or PM.

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back