Books to Get a New Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
I will be visiting the WTS-Dallas bookstore this Friday with my friend in order to buy some things for both myself and for her. I was planning at the very minimum to buy a Reformation Study Bible and a copy of the WCF and catechisms. My question is as to what other writings I should consider.

I've considered and had a recommendation for Essential Truths of the Chirstian Faith by Sproul (especially since she is already reading Holiness of God. Any advice as to this next book selection would be helpful as far as solid introductory ones go in this sense.

Also, she is interested in good references to address the issues of authenticity of the Scriptures with regard to archaelogical and textual bases (as she would like to be able to answer and address her own previous issues and those within the nonbelieving community). This is one area I've not focused my studies upon, so I'm a bit in the dark as to the quality of various resources out there.

While we're at this - any good threads for the second issue - Biblical Authenticity via evidence and such and good resources for that? I've tried searching the board a couple of times and I've just not quite been able to find what I'm looking for on this issue.

Here is a reading list.

Several of the titles are too advanced for a new Christian, but Olevian's Firm Foundation and Dathenus' little book should be read by all. They are easy to read and will help a new Christian get started on the right foot.

So too for Beza's Christian Faith and Bergsma's survey of redemptive history.

I would add to this Mike Horton's new book on covenant theology, his Putting Amazing and Too Good to Be True vols.

rsc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back