Books on The Lord’s Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valleyofvision2023

Puritan Board Freshman
Good Evening,

I’m looking for a book on the Lord’s Prayer. We are studying the Lord’s Prayer in this Presbyterian church plant my wife and I are visiting, and she would like a book on about it.
I am encouraged by her growth in the Reformed faith, and want to continue to encourage her.
Any recommendations?

I'll third Watson. He's one of the most approachable Puritans and his work on the Lord's Prayer is great.

A good general book on prayer that has a section on the Lord's Prayer is A Method for Prayer by Matthew Henry.

I would also recommend studying the Westminster Catechisms and Heidelberg Catechism on the Lord's Prayer as they each have questions walking through the prayer.

"A Guide to Go to God," by William Gouge (on the Lord's Prayer)
"The Lord's Prayer for His People," by Robert Traill (on Jesus' prayer in John 17).
"Gospel Incense," by Thomas Cobbet
"The Puritans on Prayer," by various Puritan preachers

Also brother, I know you are kind of a newer member (at least I think, but hey, so am I,) but you may have not headed over to the resource section. There you can find where I posted the "Zotero Public Puritan Library." It is a collection of all the English, Scottish, Dutch, and American Puritan works that can be found to be read freely at EEBO & Evans-TCP. I think the collection is up to 6.400+ titles. Many of them you will not find in print. There is a search bar in the library, so you can look up titles on different subjects. https://www.zotero.org/groups/4718955/eebo-tcppublic_domain_complete_puritan_works/library

I'll add that any exposition of the Shorter, Larger, or Heidelberg catechisms will contain a treatment of the Lord's prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back