Books on the Free Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeD

Puritan Board Freshman
What books would be good to read primarily (not necessarily wholly) deal with the free offer of the Gospel? One person has recommended Spurgeon V. Hyper-Calvinism. Any other recommendations?

If I were to recommend one book above all, in terms of how much blessing I received from reading it, that would have to be Studies In The Sermon On The Mount by the Reverend D. Martyn Lloyd Jones.

Earl, Mr. Winzer reviews the document available at the link Tim posted. Since Mr. Winzer's review dissents at a number of points, there is a substantive difference.

Earl, Mr. Winzer reviews the document available at the link Tim posted. Since Mr. Winzer's review dissents at a number of points, there is a substantive difference.

Yes I see that now, thank you.

I am a strong supporter of Professor Murray's arguments with respect to the free offer of the gospel and those of Professor Clark in advocacy of the same. I appreciate the work of David Lachman on the Marrow Controversy as well and want to read the work cited by Ben on the same. Ferguson's talks on this and an article by my former colleague Joe Hall (in the Mid-America Journal of Theology) are good.

I will endeavor to read Rev. Winzer's piece on this and offer some observations. Apparently, he thinks otherwise and I will be interested to assess his arguments. I may not get to this right away as I am just back in the saddle and quite swamped.

Peace,
Alan

I am a strong supporter of Professor Murray's arguments with respect to the free offer of the gospel and those of Professor Clark in advocacy of the same. I appreciate the work of David Lachman on the Marrow Controversy as well and want to read the work cited by Ben on the same. Ferguson's talks on this and an article by my former colleague Joe Hall (in the Mid-America Journal of Theology) are good.

I will endeavor to read Rev. Winzer's piece on this and offer some observations. Apparently, he thinks otherwise and I will be interested to assess his arguments. I may not get to this right away as I am just back in the saddle and quite swamped.

Peace,
Alan

If you will return and comment on what you think, when you get the time, that would be great. For I would like to see if I am missing something because I will admit I read the review before Murray. I am going to endever to do such (read Murray on the free offer) though I trust Rev. Wintzer did so with more clarity than I shall do.

A related study that I would recommend is Hyper-Calvinism and the Call of the Gospel: An examination of the "Well-Meant Offer" of the Gospel by Professor David Engelsma with a forward by Professor John H. Gerstner.

WSC 31 speaks of Christ "freely offered in the gospel". Some people deny that this is appropriate language, but given the confessional commitment of the board, we're not going to have advocacy for that on here. Some people want to use that language to mean something about God's velleity. Many on here object to that; if nothing else, it obscures that "free offer" can be used without intending or importing anything about God's will except the command that Christ be held forth indiscriminately as the savior of sinners. To me it seems best therefore to have some means of distinguishing those who say "free offer" meaning it strictly, and those who use it more broadly as relating to God's desires.

I am a strong supporter of Professor Murray's arguments with respect to the free offer of the gospel and those of Professor Clark in advocacy of the same. .....

Peace,
Alan
Which Professor Clark are you referring to? Gordon Clark or R. Scott Clark?

Our denomination publishes a short, inexpensive booklet entitled Commending What We Cherish. It contains four lessons on evangelism. The first lesson gives a bit of history on the Erskines, the free offer of the gospel, and where they went in the Scriptures to justify the free offer. You can view the book online or download a free PDF copy by going here.

Originally Posted by Alan D. Strange
I am a strong supporter of Professor Murray's arguments with respect to the free offer of the gospel and those of Professor Clark in advocacy of the same. .....

Which Professor Clark are you referring to? Gordon Clark or R. Scott Clark?

I am referring, as Joshua noted, to R. Scott Clark, professor at Westminster Seminary California. It is he who has written in defense of Murray's position (while developing and extending it with his own arguments). As also noted, Professor Gordon Clark opposed the free offer.

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back