Books on reaching Islam: recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher88

Puritan Board Sophomore
Recently I have finshed JD. Greears book "Breaking the Islam Code". I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in getting into Islamic studies for the purpose of missions.
It was a well done book, researched properly, and fast passed read.

What I am needing now; is a book that goes beyond Pastor Greears book, but stays along the same lines of reaching Islam.

I have looked at Islam by Caner. This is a book I may end up getting, but reviews says Caner goes into attack mode.

Geisler has a book on Islam Apologetic, not sure if he is biblical or not. (IE he is not reformed so I'm weary of studying his works)

To put it plain and simple.
Book recommendations for apologetics with Islam?

Book recommendations for learning of Islam? Caners book may be what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Jacob,
I saw this book before, and I would enjoy reading it. However I believe this is along the lines if Pastor Greaars, book. (See OP)

Joel,
Thanks for the recommendations, I will some of those over. Your recommendation of Islam in Context: Past, Present, and Future, is spot on for one area of studying I wish to do.
Its on my to buy list.

Keep the recommendations coming.

I would stay away from Caner or Robert Morey.

I would suggest reading "Twenty Three Years, the life of the Prophet" by Ali Dashti I think his name is. It is a critical biography of Mhd.

Norm Giesler's and Abdu Salib's (sp?) Answering Islam I think is one of the best books on the subject.

Also, many Mslms are not hard-line but are, instead, followers of "folk islam" - it is important to understand the folk islam concept of nominal islam and islam mixed with local beliefs. This is the prevalent form outside the Middle East. Rick Love's Muslims, Magic and the Kingdom of God is a good overview of folk islam, focusing on a people-group that I know of in SE Asia here. You can find most of that book on google books.

Also, I would acquaint myself with the current contextualization controversies surrounding mslm evangelism (google phrases such as C-5 or Insider Movements, etc).

Pergamum,
Is there something about Caner and Morey that I should stay from?

One reason I did not buy Caners book is, the reviews are saying Caner comes off very harsh in his writings. I have no desire to read bashing, I can turn on any news station for that kind of hearing.

I don't know much about these men, so I'll take your word. Thanks.

I picked up the following book from Amazon, that hope is not from a dishonest man.

Bridges To Islam: A Christian Perspective on Folk Islam
Phil Parshall

From the reviews, and bio of Phil, I figured it was safe.

I also am bidding on Islam in Context thanks to the recommendation above, I should get that by next week.

I will look for Giesler book on Islam.

Now since I'm doing missional study, I will need a copy of the Quran in English. Any recommendations for a inexpensive (under 10.00) version of the Quran?

My purpose in this, is recently I believe I have received a calling to reach Muslim groups for Christ in mission work. I am speaking with my Pastor next week on this, should be a good conversation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back