Books on Predestination

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoergon

Puritan Board Freshman
I want to give my Arminian friend a book on God's sovereignty in salvation. (He has no college degree on theology).

I found two books that appear to be good on the topic of Predestination and God's sovereignty, but I don't know which one to buy:

(1) Predestination - Gordon Clark
(2) The Sovereignty of God - Arthur W. Pink

Is there a reason I should choose one over the other? (not considering the price).

If your friend needs more of a popular-level introduction to the topic, rather than a heavy theological treatise, you might give him Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul or The Five Points of Calvinism by Steele, Thomas, and Quinn.

Pink's book would be a pretty heavy volume for someone not used to reading theological literature. I don't know about Clark's book.

Clark on Predestination is so logical, Biblical, unapologetic and
straight forward. No dodging issues, and says it as it is.

I would point him to Eph 1 and 2 first. You would be surprised at how many Christians have never read it nor heard it preached.

I studied Pink but was already leaning that direction.
I really liked Sproul's "Chosen by God" and used that when discussing the subject with a classmate of mine several years ago.

Probably the most powerful combination for me was Owen's "Display of Arminianism", and it's less thick than some of his other writings. His "Death of Death in the Death of Christ" is more for Limited Atonement but is also splendid when dealing with this subject. I freely admit that I would not hand Owen to your friend first though!

The chapter on election in John Piper's The Pleasures of God.

YES! I would actually discourage you from using Pink's book. As an Arminian I found it unhelpful - it is more useful now that I am convinced of the doctrines of grace. If you want a book that will help an Arminian I think you ought to consider Piper. He has been used to help many of us because his arguments not only address the intellect (as Sproul so nicely does in Chosen by God) but deals with the heart issues that are really at the bottom of any Arminian's opposition to election. The two men who most helped me move from Arminianism to Calvinism were Piper and Lloyd-Jones.

Stephen2,
Do you think that chapter alone is equivalent to Piper's "Five Points: Towards a Deeper Experience of God's Grace"?

Stephen2,
Do you think that chapter alone is equivalent to Piper's "Five Points: Towards a Deeper Experience of God's Grace"?

I haven't read the other, but there is something unique about The Pleasures of God that I think makes it particularly helpful. Instead of writing a book on Calvinism he writes a book on God and the pleasures that God has in himself. Election is treated as part of that whole. Piper when he gets to election shows something of the beauty and wonder of election and how it brings glory to God. I think it is a lot easier for an Arminian to be persuaded of election when he can see the majesty of God in it and this comes out very well in The Pleasures of God

This is one of my favorite books on the subject. While it is a bit hefty, chapter one alone is worth the entire book.

Could anyone send me a photocopy of Gordon Clark's explanation of God hardening Pharaoh's heart? It is in his Predestination book, on pages 159-161 (I think).
Since it is only three pages, I think it's legal. Send me a private message so I can send my e-mail.
Thanks

As you study God's hardening of Pharaoh's heart you really ought to look at Calvin's commentary of Exodus. His comments on this whole narrative are absolutely outstanding. It also happens to be some real good bed-time devotional reading. Tremendous stuff in those commentaries.

It was while reading Pink that I was firmly convinced both of the error of my Arminian ways and the truth regarding God's sovereignty. I next moved on to Boettner, and found that to be very good, too. Gertsner's Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth not only sealed the fate on the illogicality of Arminianism for me, but utterly destroyed my Dispensationalism, as well!

I can't think of another work that had more influence on the Baptists I know than Pink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back