Books on New Cov from NT and Jeremiah?

Discussion in 'Covenant Theology' started by AThornquist, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AThornquist

AThornquist Puritan Board Doctor

Hi friends,

A friend of mine sent me a message: "I am doing a class at Biola on Jeremiah, and I have a paper on the New Covenant. My prof specifically wants me to examine this subject as addressed by Jeremiah and also the NT. I swim in progressive dispensationist waters here, and that is how I am currently leaning on the matter, but I want to get the Reformed take on the matter. Do you have some good books I can read on the subject?"

Y'all are far more knowledgeable than I; what book(s) would you recommend to this brother?

Thank you.

2. Dieter Schneider

Dieter Schneider Puritan Board Sophomore

3. brandonadams

brandonadams Puritan Board Freshman

I would highly recommend he read John Owen's commentary on Hebrews 8. It is very in-depth (150+ pages devoted to Heb 8:6-13). His conclusions are different (and in my opinion much more biblical) than Calvin's. You can give him this interactive/collapsible outline of Owen's arguments: John Owen’s Commentary on the Old and New Covenants (Outline) « Contrast

I also recommend Sam Waldron and Richard Barcellos' "A Reformed Baptist Manifesto". Amazon.com: A Reformed Baptist Manifesto (9780976003908): Samuel E. Waldron, Richard C. Barcellos: Books

The entire book is about the New Covenant passage in Jeremiah, with each chapter addressing a different interpretation of it:

Table of Contents

Preface.......1
    Introduction .......3
    1 The New Covenant Constitution of the Church and Dispensationalism ....... 9
    2 The New Covenant Constitution of the Church and Antinomianism ....... 31
    3 The New Covenant Constitution of the Church and Arminianism .......49
    4 The New Covenant Constitution of the Church and Paedobaptism .......65
    Conclusion: A Reformed Baptist Manifesto .......81
    Appendix 1: A Brief Response to Richard Pratt's "Infant Baptism in the New Covenant" ...83
    Appendix 2: Book review of New Covenant
    Theology.......93
    Bibliography .......103
    Scripture Index.......107
    General Index .......111

4. FenderPriest

FenderPriest Puritan Board Junior

John Sailhamer has some really good stuff to talk about regarding the new covenant from the OT in The Meaning of the Pentateuch, and interacts with Jeremiah at points. Your friend will find that stuff helpful I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.