Books for a Christian starting in business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
I prepare taxes and and studying to get my CPA license. A few years ago I read a book by John Angell James for young men, and it had some practical helps for starting in the world. I have access to Richard Steele's "The Religious Tradesman", and listened to all of Spurgeon's "John Ploughman's Talks" (my favorite of the three). All of the books contain advice that has either come into use already or certainly will later, and so I want to expand my reading list. What other books might be out there that would be useful regarding a Christian's duties and development in the work world (particularly in a business profession)? I might read Lloyd-Jones on Ephesians 6 at some point.

There is a book that's a compilation of 6 essays on the Christian and Business, called "The Man of Business". William Sprague, James W. Alexander being the most well known of the contributors. I believe it's published by Solid Ground.

I prepare taxes and and studying to get my CPA license. A few years ago I read a book by John Angell James for young men, and it had some practical helps for starting in the world. I have access to Richard Steele's "The Religious Tradesman", and listened to all of Spurgeon's "John Ploughman's Talks" (my favorite of the three). All of the books contain advice that has either come into use already or certainly will later, and so I want to expand my reading list. What other books might be out there that would be useful regarding a Christian's duties and development in the work world (particularly in a business profession)? I might read Lloyd-Jones on Ephesians 6 at some point.

I have found the following two books to be helpful:

Business for the Glory of God
Every Good Endeavor

My wife says she has the Tim Keller book on her Kindle. Thanks for bringing my attention to it, and to the Grudem book!

I'm going to expand my request. What would the PBers recommend for a biography of a Christian business professional, or any kind of professional (eg. lawyer, surgeon, craftsmen) whose life has been driven and molded by Scripture?

I'm going to expand my request. What would the PBers recommend for a biography of a Christian business professional, or any kind of professional (eg. lawyer, surgeon, craftsmen) whose life has been driven and molded by Scripture?
Martyn Lloyd-Jones 2 vol biography is excellent on guidance on how to live as a Christian. It is also significant because he was one of Britain's leading medical doctors before he went into the ministry.

A helpful book on Productivity and Time management from a Christian perspective is "What's best next" by Matt Perman.

Thank you for both recommendations Stephen. After a short perusal it looks like there are other good works by Matt Perman that will come in handy.

Is there a certain part of the Martyn Lloyd-Jones biography that is best to read? How much does the biography talk about his medical profession?

I prepare taxes and and studying to get my CPA license.
I am a Chartered Accountant which is the NZ equivalent of your CPA.

Is there a certain part of the Martyn Lloyd-Jones biography that is best to read?
Read it all I would say. If you want to read selected chapters, the ones that stand out to me are vol 2 "A leader in Britain", "Pastoral Counselling" and "The Best of Men". Learn from Dr Lloyd-Jones how to build godly relationships with others, how to discipline yourself and how to handle conflict.

How much does the biography talk about his medical profession?
One chapter in vol 1. He left the medical profession as a young man to enter the ministry. However it is important to note that he utilised his professional skills throughout his life (he said he never really left the medical profession). Thus reading all the biography will give you many insights into professional behaviour, godly living etc etc. The chapter on pastoral counselling, for example, gives much insight on how he related to people as a godly pastor AND as a professional, how to handle difficult people in a godly manner etc.

On godly living, there is a book I MUST MUST MUST recommend. The Path of True Godliness by Willem Teelinck is simply an outstanding work [and very practical] on how to live a godly life, and can be applied to a professional career. I wish I had come accross this book many years ago.

Lloyd-Jones "Sermon on the Mount" and books on Psalms [True Happiness: Psalm 1; Out of the Depths: Psalm 51; Faith on Trial: Psalm 73; Let Everybody Praise the Lord: Psalm 107] will give you much spiritual insight too. As I said MLJ's godly pastoral skills combined with his medical professionalism make his books a real help.

Christian Counselling and Education Foundation's books on Relationships and 'War on Words' would also be helpful re godly relationships in the professional workplace.

Harley, here is one of my favourite quotes from the Lloyd-Jones Biography. I include it as to me it nicely summarises our attitude to life and business.

“A God-centered theology was not an addition to his personal life, it was central to it. If Calvinism means the joyful assurance that God is at the head of things, then he was a Calvinist with every fibre of his being. His jealousy for God’s glory, his faith in God's promises and reverence for His Word, his sense of what sin deserves, his thankfulness, his hatred for all that is casual and flippant in holy things, his seriousness, boldness in opposing promoters of error - all these features and more flowed from his knowing something of being in the presence of God.”

[D. M. Lloyd-Jones Biography by Iain Murray Vol 2 p 764-65]

I couldn't figure this out myself, but I do highly recommend CPAExcel :) What did you use Roy?

I prepare taxes and and studying to get my CPA license.
I am a Chartered Accountant which is the NZ equivalent of your CPA.

Is there a certain part of the Martyn Lloyd-Jones biography that is best to read?
Read it all I would say. If you want to read selected chapters, the ones that stand out to me are vol 2 "A leader in Britain", "Pastoral Counselling" and "The Best of Men". Learn from Dr Lloyd-Jones how to build godly relationships with others, how to discipline yourself and how to handle conflict.

How much does the biography talk about his medical profession?
One chapter in vol 1. He left the medical profession as a young man to enter the ministry. However it is important to note that he utilised his professional skills throughout his life (he said he never really left the medical profession). Thus reading all the biography will give you many insights into professional behaviour, godly living etc etc. The chapter on pastoral counselling, for example, gives much insight on how he related to people as a godly pastor AND as a professional, how to handle difficult people in a godly manner etc.

On godly living, there is a book I MUST MUST MUST recommend. The Path of True Godliness by Willem Teelinck is simply an outstanding work [and very practical] on how to live a godly life, and can be applied to a professional career. I wish I had come accross this book many years ago.

Lloyd-Jones "Sermon on the Mount" and books on Psalms [True Happiness: Psalm 1; Out of the Depths: Psalm 51; Faith on Trial: Psalm 73; Let Everybody Praise the Lord: Psalm 107] will give you much spiritual insight too. As I said MLJ's godly pastoral skills combined with his medical professionalism make his books a real help.

Christian Counselling and Education Foundation's books on Relationships and 'War on Words' would also be helpful re godly relationships in the professional workplace.

You've given me a thirst to read the biography now.

There are a lot of good resources HERE, and Whelchel's book, under the "STORE" tab, is excellent.

Shortly browsed it, looks good!

Many thanks for the suggestions. I've had a shop for several years and try to run it on Christian lines though in reality this consists of not working on a Sunday and being totally honest with suppliers and customers. I'm sure there is much more I can do and these books will help.

I do highly recommend CPAExcel What did you use Roy?
I used CPA Excel for REG and switched to Roger after that. CPA excel is a firehose of information. I spent more time paring down what I thought wasn't going to be on the exam than I did studying (not really, but pretty close). REG was my lowest score too.

Doesn't matter now though that I have my CPA license.

Another very good book I forgot to mention: Be successful be spiritual! How to serve God in the workplace by John Temple

I do highly recommend CPAExcel What did you use Roy?
I used CPA Excel for REG and switched to Roger after that. CPA excel is a firehose of information. I spent more time paring down what I thought wasn't going to be on the exam than I did studying (not really, but pretty close). REG was my lowest score too.

Doesn't matter now though that I have my CPA license.

I have CPAExcel for FAR, REG (which I'm sure I will pass this coming Saturday), and AUD. Maybe I'll consider another study resource provider for BEC.

CPAExcel has a lot for sure. My method of study is just to attempt the practice questions and simulations, read the rationale for the correct answers, take notes on what I don't know or would likely forget, and review the questions/simulations continuously. I eliminate what will most likely not be on the exam while giving focus to weak areas. I've tried the recommendation of reading the text, watching the videos, and then attempting the questions and simulations. Passing FAR took an incredibly long time doing that (not effective or efficient), and I failed the first time after months of study.

How did you determine what you would use and what you would not?

Another very good book I forgot to mention: Be successful be spiritual! How to serve God in the workplace by John Temple

Thank you again!

I purchased "What's Best Next," and it's been a fruitful, work-transforming read for me, both in the office and in my studies (that includes devotions). I also purchased Perman's book on setting up your desk. The little things make a difference.

Looking forward to reading the other recommended books too (once I get this CPA license).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back