Books about amillennialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
For someone who would like to study amillennialism in more detail, what book(s) would you recommend?

I know that Sam Storms has a new book out: Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative. There is also A Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger. How do these compare? Are there better books?

I like Riddlebarger. His book is easy to follow and he is gracious towards those he disagrees with.

Below is a list of books (a couple of articles and one mp3 sermon series included) on Amillennialism and Revelation commentaries that are amil, plus one book on Daniel. There are a few I have not listed as I do not have them. I may add to this list as I am able.

I haven’t read Storms’ new book yet, but have looked through it. His is primarily a refutation of the premil view (he also refutes postmil) and a defense of the amil. I think it will be very good.

Riddlebarger’s two books (listed below) are both excellent; the one on antichrist is superb.

Venema’s Promise of the Future has replaced Hoekema’s The Bible and the Future as the eschatology textbook of choice in the P&R seminaries (so I have heard). Both are excellent. I think Venema’s up-to-date views make it preferable if one has to choose between the two.

Engelsma’s two lengthy articles on Amillennialism are outstanding. The book version of Christ’s Spiritual Kingdom is preferable.

The Revelation commentators listed are all amil, all of them in the camp of “eclectic” interpretive methodology, or “modified idealist”, per Greg Beale, who seems to be taking the lead in the field of Revelation studies at this time.

Still, the others are also very good. Of especial note is Bauckham’s The Theology of the Book of Revelation – a smaller work of 169 pages – filled as it is with profound insights and observations.

​* = recommended

Bibliography for Revelation and Amil:

* G.K. Beale, New International Greek Testament Commentary: Revelation; The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: 1-2 Thessalonians; Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament; Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation; and The Use of Daniel in Jewish Apocalyptic Literature and in the Revelation of St. John
​* Dennis E. Johnson, Triumph of the Lamb
​* Cornelis P. Venema, The Promise of the Future
​* William Hendriksen, More Than Conquerors; and Three Lectures on the Book of Revelation
​* Michael Wilcock, The Message of Revelation
​* Richard Bauckham, The Climax of Prophecy; and The Theology of the Book of Revelation
​* Kim Riddlebarger, The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth About the Antichrist; and, A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
​* David J. Engelsma, Christ’s Spiritual Kingdom: A Defense of Reformed Amillennialism (A shortened online version); and The Messianic Kingdom and Civil Government (article)
​* Stephen S. Smalley, The Revelation To John: A Commentary on the Greek Text of the Apocalypse
​* Vern Poythress, The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation
​* R.C.H. Lenski, The Interpretation of St. John’s Revelation
​* Stuart Olyott, Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel Simply Explained
​* Samuel E. Waldron, The End Times Made Simple
​* Anthony Hoekema, The Bible and the Future
​* Simon J. Kistemaker, New Testament Commentary: Revelation
​* Arturo Azurdia, An Exposition of the Book of Revelation (81 MP3 sermons)
William E. Cox, Amillennialism Today
​* Leon Morris, The Book of Revelation (Revised Edition)
​* G.B. Caird, The Revelation of Saint John
Richard Bewes, The Lamb Wins
Herman Hoeksema, Behold, He Cometh! [with some reservations]
​* Sam Storms, Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative (he was premil, and now uses his old knowledge to expose its errors)
Ian Boxall, The Revelation of Saint John

---------

I hope this is helpful.

It'll hurt my back if I have to move again, Rich. I hope to stay in this NYC apartment until the Lord calls me home. I hope to get a good amount of this treasure into my head, and put it to profitable use in teaching. Already I've been assigned to teach a series of classes on Revelation for the church in the fall, which I much look forward to.

It'll hurt my back if I have to move again, Rich. I hope to stay in this NYC apartment until the Lord calls me home. I hope to get a good amount of this treasure into my head, and put it to profitable use in teaching. Already I've been assigned to teach a series of classes on Revelation for the church in the fall, which I much look forward to.

I believe preparing for that class will be as much of a blessing to you as those who receive the fruit of your labor.

Riddlebarger's talks on amillennialism are somewhat better than his books. His book presupposes an acceptance of a certain flavor of Covenant theology that not all Reformed accept. I learned a lot from his book, though I prefer Anthony Hoekema. Hoekema truly understands the challenge that Isaiah 65:20 poses and he is most honest in wrestling with it.

"The Promise of the Future" by Cornelius Venema is the best A-Mill book out there precisely because he is one of the only A-Mill writers that takes Postmillennialism as a serious biblical position. Riddlebarger's book dismisses the Historic Post-Mill (and the Partial-Preterism variety) with a wave of the hand.

Benjamin, while I would not contest that Venema’s amil book is among the very best, I would not judge Riddlebarger’s as less good just because he does not devote more than scant space to refuting both the premil and postmil views; his presentation of the amil is very good; he also gives very little space to his critique of preterism – full and partial – but his book is not meant to be a more comprehensive study of eschatology as Venema’s is.

Shawn, I’ve read both of Adam’s books and, while I very much liked his earlier The Time Is At Hand (it was one of the first amil books I’d read), I was uncomfortable with his later book on Daniel, The Time of the End, and his partial preterism. It seems as R.C. Sproul has gone that route also, as much as I am indebted to him, and love him.

Below is a list of books (a couple of articles and one mp3 sermon series included) on Amillennialism and Revelation commentaries that are amil, plus one book on Daniel. There are a few I have not listed as I do not have them. I may add to this list as I am able.

I haven’t read Storms’ new book yet, but have looked through it. His is primarily a refutation of the premil view (he also refutes postmil) and a defense of the amil. I think it will be very good.

Riddlebarger’s two books (listed below) are both excellent; the one on antichrist is superb.

Venema’s Promise of the Future has replaced Hoekema’s The Bible and the Future as the eschatology textbook of choice in the P&R seminaries (so I have heard). Both are excellent. I think Venema’s up-to-date views make it preferable if one has to choose between the two.

Engelsma’s two lengthy articles on Amillennialism are outstanding. The book version of Christ’s Spiritual Kingdom is preferable.

The Revelation commentators listed are all amil, all of them in the camp of “eclectic” interpretive methodology, or “modified idealist”, per Greg Beale, who seems to be taking the lead in the field of Revelation studies at this time.

Still, the others are also very good. Of especial note is Bauckham’s The Theology of the Book of Revelation – a smaller work of 169 pages – filled as it is with profound insights and observations.

​* = recommended

Bibliography for Revelation and Amil:

* G.K. Beale, New International Greek Testament Commentary: Revelation; The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: 1-2 Thessalonians; Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament; Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation; and The Use of Daniel in Jewish Apocalyptic Literature and in the Revelation of St. John
​* Dennis E. Johnson, Triumph of the Lamb
​* Cornelis P. Venema, The Promise of the Future
​* William Hendriksen, More Than Conquerors; and Three Lectures on the Book of Revelation
​* Michael Wilcock, The Message of Revelation
​* Richard Bauckham, The Climax of Prophecy; and The Theology of the Book of Revelation
​* Kim Riddlebarger, The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth About the Antichrist; and, A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
​* David J. Engelsma, Christ’s Spiritual Kingdom: A Defense of Reformed Amillennialism (A shortened online version); and The Messianic Kingdom and Civil Government (article)
​* Stephen S. Smalley, The Revelation To John: A Commentary on the Greek Text of the Apocalypse
​* Vern Poythress, The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation
​* R.C.H. Lenski, The Interpretation of St. John’s Revelation
​* Stuart Olyott, Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel Simply Explained
​* Samuel E. Waldron, The End Times Made Simple
​* Anthony Hoekema, The Bible and the Future
​* Simon J. Kistemaker, New Testament Commentary: Revelation
​* Arturo Azurdia, An Exposition of the Book of Revelation (81 MP3 sermons)
William E. Cox, Amillennialism Today
​* Leon Morris, The Book of Revelation (Revised Edition)
​* G.B. Caird, The Revelation of Saint John
Richard Bewes, The Lamb Wins
Herman Hoeksema, Behold, He Cometh! [with some reservations]
​* Sam Storms, Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative (he was premil, and now uses his old knowledge to expose its errors)
Ian Boxall, The Revelation of Saint John

---------

I hope this is helpful.

Steve, thank you for pointing out those resources!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back