Book Recommendations on The Problem of Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisRobes4Mine

Puritan Board Freshman
Good Morning Everyone!

I am currently writing a paper for my Systematic Theology class on the problem of evil. What resources would you recommend to help me out?

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but one of Dr. Gerstner's primers was on "The Problem of Pleasure," in which he said that the real question should be, "Why does a sinner ever know a single moment's pleasure in this life, not why is there evil."

Good Morning Everyone!

I am currently writing a paper for my Systematic Theology class on the problem of evil. What resources would you recommend to help me out?
"Reasons of the Heart" by William Edgar has a section on the problem of evil.

The Edgar book mentioned, and the article by Greg Bahnsen.

Sometimes though, what is needed isn't a treatise, but changing the vantage point to be marveled by God's grace and patience.

I would look at Oliphint's Covenantal Apologetics, John Frame's Doctrine of God, and his Apologetics for the Glory of God (which has two large chapters on the subject), and Bahnsen's Always Ready. That will at least give you a good feel for the presuppositional approach to the question.

For a view that is a bit different than the typical reformed response, I would suggest God, Freedom, and Evil by Alvin Plantinga.

Here's a couple of interesting reads that are very different from one another:

God and Evil: The Problem Solved by Gordon Clark

The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis

Obviously Lewis' response is not Reformed and I have some problems with it, but I still think it is an interesting read with a lot of good takeaways.

I second the recommendation on Frame. I remember his work helping me when I read it in his classes. Also some of the systematicians on the decrees of God may help (Turretin, Bavinck, Berkhof) on understanding distinctions behind divine and human responsibility.

Good Morning Everyone!

I know you asked for book recommendations but my approach to dealing with this question is I generally attack their presuppositions on the whole thing than move to a more personal strategy with them in particular. Schaeffer was great at this and I use his method, modified by Van Til, in dealing with it.
I don't know the scope of the paper but I assume it may be about how to answer it. If so a good strategy with quoted resources should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back