Book Recommendations For A Godly Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
My wife is a new Christian (Baptized in 2003) and did not grow up in a Christian home. She is all for being a "biblical woman" but has no apparatus from which to learn (other than from my limited experience) since neither her mother (who is actively against her Christian life) and my mother who is a strong egalitarian PC(USA) soon-to-be minister.

Any recommendations?

I have bought these books:

Feminine Appeal - Carolyn Mahaney

The True Woman: The Beauty and Strength of a Godly Woman - Susan Hunt

I would also recommend Elizabeth Prentiss' books, especially if your wife is just being introduced to older books. Specifically, Stepping Heavenward, Aunt Jane's Hero, and her life and letters. These books give a good introductory picture in story/biographical form of a what it is to be a godly woman, and are very easy and enjoyable reads. Elizabeth Prentiss was the daughter of Edward Payson and the author of "More Love to Thee" and other hymns.

Incidentally her sister Louisa wrote an amazingly good and very easily understandable/readable introduction to Calvinism in The Pastor's Daughter, largely a record of her father's conversations with her when she was a little girl.

This page has a lot of free online books, including Biblical Womanhood in the Home: CBMW » Online Books

Among current writers, I'd think anything by Nancy Leigh DeMoss would be helpful. Lies Women Believe might be a good place to start.

Jay Adams Christian Living in the Home is good as well. Our pastor recommended Elisabeth Elliot's Let Me Be a Woman during our pre-marital counseling.

Benjamin, I ought to clarify that the Life and Letters is about 400 (500?) pages of closely packed print: it's an 'easy read' because delightfully written and easy to pick up and put down with just reading a letter here and there; but it might be a bit daunting for someone who hasn't read and loved anything else by her yet.

Also, I was thinking of what some of my friends might recommend: I think Laura (who sometimes haunts this board) would recommend a biography of Sarah Edwards as Mrs. Edwards has been a role model for her (and if you knew Laura, that would be a strong recommendation of Sarah Edwards :), but I am unsure if the one she liked was by Edna Gerstner or Elizabeth Dodd. I tend to think Gerstner... I will send her this thread link and ask her.

I've read the Gerstner and the Dodd biographies. Both have their idiosyncrasies—Gerster relays the family's history in an imaginative, almost novel-like setting, while Dodd sometimes offers slightly obnoxious psychological commentary—but I would recommend the latter if you had to choose, because she relies heavily on primary sources and manages to reveal quite enough of Sarah's character to stir up desires in the reader (when applicable :D) to be more like that woman.

I thought Feminine Appeal was really good, by the way.

P.S. That's Sarah Edwards in my avatar. :)

I loved The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace. Stepping Heavenward was also excellent. When I first became a Christian I read a book named, Me Obey Him, I don't remember who the author was, but it dealt with submission and was good from what I remember. Another great book was Reforming Marraige by Doug Wilson. I don't agree with a lot of what Wilson says, but my husband and I both learned a lot from that book. Vision Forum usually has a lot of great books, try them!

Dr. Kistler and Josh beat me to it, but I must also recommend Female Piety by John Angell James. When I became a Christian 6 years ago (at the age of 21) I knew that my behavior and worldview needed a complete overhaul - but I had no idea where to begin! He displays the practical outworkings of proper theology in the life of a Christian daughter, sister, wife, mother, etc. Not only does he explain what they ought to do and why, but he thoroughly guides them in how to do it, answering objections and obstacles that are even more prevalent in our day than they were in his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back