Book Recommendation - Reformed Confessions Harmonized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
reformedconfessions9wl.opt.png

Reformed Confessions Harmonized

Even though the 1689 London Confession (which is not included) most closely parallels my theological commitments, I highly recommend Reformed Confessions Harmonized. It compares and contrasts the various Reformed confessions in a systematic way, which allows for a good comparative reading reference.

Book Description
Despite the acknowledged importance of confessional statements throughout church history, the most significant of these documents have never before been published in a single volume. Now Drs. Beeke and Ferguson have harmonized seven important Reformed confessions into a convenient parallel arrangement.
The seven confessions were produced by three different strands among the European churches. From the Dutch-German reformers came the Belgic Confession of Faith (1561), the Heidelberg Catechism (1563), and the Canons of Dort (1618-19). The Swiss churches contributed the Second Helvetic Confession (1566). And the Scottish-English tradition was set down in the Westminster Confession of Faith (1646-47) and the Larger and Shorter Westminster Catechisms (1647).

The unique feature of this volume is the editors arrangement of the various confessions in parallel columns under the traditional subject headings of systematic theology. Readers can compare the formulations on particular points of doctrine, such as the trinity, justification, Christian liberty, and baptism. While elaborating the differences that existed between the various national churches, the comparisons also underscore the fundamental unity regarding the basic tenets of the faith.

Despite the acknowledged importance of confessional statements throughout church history, the most significant of these documents have never before been published in a single volume. Now Drs. Beeke and Ferguson have harmonized seven important Reformed confessions into a convenient parallel arrangement.

The seven confessions were produced by three different strands among the European churches. From the Dutch-German reformers came the Belgic Confession of Faith (1561), the Heidelberg Catechism (1563), and the Canons of Dort (1618-19). The Swiss churches contributed the Second Helvetic Confession (1566). And the Scottish-English tradition was set down in the Westminster Confession of Faith (1646-47) and the Larger and Shorter Westminster Catechisms (1647).

The unique feature of this volume is the editors arrangement of the various confessions in parallel columns under the traditional subject headings of systematic theology. Readers can compare the formulations on particular points of doctrine, such as the trinity, justification, Christian liberty, and baptism. While elaborating the differences that existed between the various national churches, the comparisons also underscore the fundamental unity regarding the basic tenets of the faith.

This confessional harmony is further enhanced by the editors historical introduction to the subject. They also provide an extensive annotated bibliography of Reformed theological writings that will serve as a useful guide for readers who desire to undertake further study. In all, this is an important resource for students and pastors interested in the historical foundations of the Reformed tradition.

I definitely want to read this book!

Dr. Sinclair Ferguson, one of the authors of this book, is currently my Systematic Theology professor at WTS. It would be really cool to see what my prof. has to say about the harmony of the confessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back