Book One of the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Hello all! I'm going to be teaching a brief (30 minute) survey of Book one of the Psalms here soon and am looking for helpful resources on the subject. I can readily find resources for individual Psalms (Spurgeon's Treasury of David is a real gem!) but am having difficulty finding information or teaching on Book one (which is Psalms 1-41) as a whole. Any help or resources you could direct me towards would be greatly appreciated. :)

One of my favourites on the Psalms is Henry Law - brief, practical and Christ-centred. Also available online here.

I'm reading this Songs of a Suffering King: The Grand Christ Hymn of Psalms 1-8 at the minute though it is only the first 8 psalms, but it is very good.

There was a sermon series done at Geneva church an OPC church in Woodstock GA on Psalms 1 though 41 thorough and worth hearing
by John Fesco. Geneva OPC - Psalms Book I
John Fesco also has a book on the first 8 Psalms Songs of a Suffering King: The Grand Christ Hymn of Psalms 1 through 8 Paperback – April 30, 2014
by J.V. Fesko

I think on the monergism.com website you can search for audio on various topics and they have lots of good sermons on almost every Psalm as does the Gospel Coalition I also recommend Steve Lawson, Sinclaire Ferguson, Bruce Walke as worth listening to on Psalms They seem to have put allot of work into the subject.

The treasury of David is remarkably good and way at the top of resources on Psalms.

Last edited:
Wonderful! Also, as I was searching for material I came across this wonderful letter that Athanasius wrote to a man named Marcellinius on how to read the Psalms. He has some very interesting things to say as well about why the Psalms should be sung and how we must not tamper with the authority or integrity of the Scriptures as given. Here's the letter, along with a quote to give you a tasting: The Letter of St. Athanasius to Marcellinus on the Interpretation of the Psalms

"And, among all the books, the Psalter has certainly a very special grace, a choiceness of quality well worthy to be pondered; for, besides the characteristics which it shares with others, it has this peculiar marvel of its own, that within it are represented and portrayed in all their great variety the movements of the human soul. It is like a picture, in which you see yourself portrayed, and seeing, may understand and consequently form yourself upon the pattern given. Elsewhere in the Bible you read only that the Law commands this or that to be done, you listen to the Prophets to learn about the Saviour's coming, or you turn to the historical books to learn the doings of the kings and holy men; but in the Psalter, besides all these things, you learn about yourself. You find depicted in it all the movements of your soul, all its changes, its ups and downs, its failures and recoveries. Moreover, whatever your particular need or trouble, from this same book you can select a form of words to fit it, so that you do not merely hear and then pass on, but learn the way to remedy your ill."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back