Book for Psalms Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
OK, so I'm reading through my Bible, and I hit Psalms. I have always believed that Psalms is one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, books of the Bible. I would love to become immersed in the Psalms, especially understanding all of the biblical-theological connections contained in the book.

So, where shall I turn (other than to the hills) for help? I would love a book or commentary that illuminates the Psalms in a biblical-theological and Christ-conscious fashion without falling into unnecessary allegorizing. I would use it primarily for devotions for myself and my wife, though I wouldn't be opposed to something I could draw sermon material from.

I would recommend the commentary on the psalms by James Montgomery Boice which is very very good, but Spurgeons is also very good though I am not sure his commentary is excactly what you are looking for.

...and if you can afford it, get the Pilgrim Publications publication of Spurgeon's Treasury of David. The binding and overall product are just top notch.

I would recommend the commentary on the psalms by James Montgomery Boice which is very very good, but Spurgeons is also very good though I am not sure his commentary is excactly what you are looking for.

OK, so I'm reading through my Bible, and I hit Psalms. I have always believed that Psalms is one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, books of the Bible. I would love to become immersed in the Psalms, especially understanding all of the biblical-theological connections contained in the book.

So, where shall I turn (other than to the hills) for help? I would love a book or commentary that illuminates the Psalms in a biblical-theological and Christ-conscious fashion without falling into unnecessary allegorizing. I would use it primarily for devotions for myself and my wife, though I wouldn't be opposed to something I could draw sermon material from.

The Messiah in the Psalms by Richard Belcher is a good place to start.

The first of the three volumes on the Psalms in the Word Biblical Commentary series by the late Dr. Peter Craigie (covering the first fifty Psalms) is a great work. I have the full set of three, but the first volume is really the best. I believe that the other two volumes had to be completed by Tate and Allen after Craigie's untimely passing. I would love to have seen what the set would have become had God stayed his hand.

Thanks, guys. You all pulled through for me. I'm going to have to check some of the theological libraries around to get a feel for some of these volumes before I buy. It's good to know that even with all the redemptive-historical emphasis of the last century, the wisdom literature is still getting such loving attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back