Book about baptism for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
Hey, all! I hope I put this question in the appropriate place…

I’m looking for a book explaining baptism for children. Geared towards those elementary aged. Any suggestions?

I’ve found some but they appear to be either Catholic or Lutheran, and obviously that won’t work… so a Reformed perspective on baptism geared towards elementary aged children. So far I’m not coming up with anything, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The PCA publishing arm recently put out a two-book series for kids, one on baptism and the other on the Lord's Supper, supposedly from a covenant-kids perspective. I can't vouch for either book because, sadly, I haven't read them (though I should have by now, if I were on top of things). But the idea behind them sounds like what you're probably looking for.

Is it done well? I'm somewhat skeptical because its title/theme is "The Good Shepherd's Pasture," and that is not the theme I would use to introduce baptism to kids. But the author may have pulled it off well, I don't know. Not everything is bad just because it isn't done the way I would do it.

The only other full kids' books on baptism that I can think of at the moment are Baptist ones, and bad ones at that.

Be aware that the PCA book has a faceless, stylized image of a guy herding sheep on its cover. I wouldn't consider that a picture of Jesus, since we all know "Good Shepherd" is a metaphor and Jesus isn't actually out in a pasture herding sheep. But some may be concerned about that cover art—so be warned, and I will forego a link here for that reason. As for internal art, I just don't know. I really do need to catch up on my kids-books reading.

The PCA publishing arm recently put out a two-book series for kids, one on baptism and the other on the Lord's Supper, supposedly from a covenant-kids perspective. I can't vouch for either book because, sadly, I haven't read them (though I should have by now, if I were on top of things). But the idea behind them sounds like what you're probably looking for.

Is it done well? I'm somewhat skeptical because its title/theme is "The Good Shepherd's Pasture," and that is not the theme I would use to introduce baptism to kids. But the author may have pulled it off well, I don't know. Not everything is bad just because it isn't done the way I would do it.

The only other full kids' books on baptism that I can think of at the moment are Baptist ones, and bad ones at that.

Be aware that the PCA book has a faceless, stylized image of a guy herding sheep on its cover. I wouldn't consider that a picture of Jesus, since we all know "Good Shepherd" is a metaphor and Jesus isn't actually out in a pasture herding sheep. But some may be concerned about that cover art—so be warned, and I will forego a link here for that reason. As for internal art, I just don't know. I really do need to catch up on my kids-books reading.
Thank you for the lead!

Thanks for the info Jack. It appears it would be intended to be an image of Christ especially when compared with the cover of the complimenting Lord’s Supper book. The figures appear to be the same. Without comparison I might concur it was a mere shepherd but when you compare the 2 books and also note the white robe, it becomes a little obvious. I am still interested in a review, but it is disheartening to see the PCA officially publish content (again) with depictions that go against their own constitution.

The content reviews seem promising on Amazon, but I do not know much about the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back