Bob Kauflin on Exclusive Psalter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't resist! :D When a well-known worship-leader publicly posts his opposition to exclusive psalmody, I recognize that as an open challenge. (And thank you for providing the link, Don.)

Hey, if they are responding, just who do you think is setting the agenda? EPs used to not get the time of day!;) We've got them surrounded now boys!:cheers:

I couldn't resist! :D When a well-known worship-leader publicly posts his opposition to exclusive psalmody, I recognize that as an open challenge. (And thank you for providing the link, Don.)

Bob Kauflin said:
We need to interpret different elements of corporate worship consistently. If preaching and praying are to be regulated differently than songs of praise, what do we do with the Psalms that contain prayers and teaching? Don’t we pray when we sing? Don’t we teach and admonish one another when we sing (Col. 3:16)? If we can’t use songs from the book of Revelation because they’re integral parts of that prophecy, should we sing the parts of the Psalter that are prophetic (e.g., Ps. 110)? We run into all kinds of problems when we try to categorize our responses to God in stricter ways than he himself has.

:up: - I like the way this guy thinks! :D

Contrary to Mr. Kauflin, we do not maintain that God has given the Psalms to be the exclusive hymnbook of the church and then proceed to interpret Col. 3:16, Eph. 5:19. These passages tell us what the matter of praise-song ought to be, and on the basis of our exegesis we conclude that the Psalms are given to be the manual of praise on the church. Then, following on from this as a distinct proposition, because there is no other command to add anything else to the Psalms, we conclude that the Psalms are to be the exclusive manual of praise. At this point we base our argument on the strict application of the RPW, which Mr. Kauflin quite clearly does not embrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back