Blessings for the Reprobate in the Covenant?

Discussion in 'Covenant Theology' started by AV1611, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

Could I ask for your comments upon this. Specifically what could be added by way of explanation. :think:

2. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

Well written. It might be good to show exegetically that these are "blessings." I think this can be shown from Heb. 11:20, in consultation with the Genesis narrative. But at the same time it needs to be pointed out that these are blessings of a lower kind than those enjoyed by the elect. Thomas Manton's sermons in loc. make some important points in this regard. It might also be worth taking the time to show how these blessings can be cursed, Mal. 2:12, and hence no evidence of God's love that He bears to His own.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Puritan Board Junior

Although they had the privledge of all the advantages listed in the article, I am not so sure we could say they were blessings?
    If they were not received by faith would they not be a curse? as per

?

I am not trying to split hairs, but the end of a reprobate is never good,and He who knew the master's will and turns away will be beaten with many stripes.
    If you mean under the OC. there was some temporary blessing for obedience that came to the person before death, I could see what you mean.[heb11;20]
    But I do not believe it is the same in the NC, as I do not hold to the external
    membership in the covenant.

4. It depends, in general, whether one is categorizing these under the exegetical and theological heads of the compound sense or the divided sense. If you don't first make that distinction, it will greatly handicap your view of Theology Proper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.