Blasphemy in the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video you posted? Ugh. Even if I thought it was acceptable to dance, this isn't it. It isn't masculine at all.

When I first started reading your post, I thought you were talking about these guys being masculine, and I was thinking your 'dar needed a bit of adjustment. These guys may be straight as arrows, but they sure don't come across that way in the part of the dance I could stomach.

Probably back to the mid to late 1990s maybe?

You are at least a decade off. I remember it from the late 1980s. At least it was women acting feminine back then. And I don't recall that it was part of the worship service when I first ran across it. I don't remember seeing it in worship until the early 90s. (Per Wikipedia, the group I'm thinking of started in 1986. I ran across them within their first couple of years.)

I was told by a commissioner to this year's assembly that outside he overheard a group of commissioners (from the hip progressive side was the implication) using profanity, swearing and F-bombs. He gently chided them but was told Jesus loved us and a little swearing sometimes is okay.

See, that points up the problem. Sometime being gentle in chiding isn't the appropriate response. Building a reputation as the nicest guy in the room brings its own reward, but it isn't going to win many battles.

The moral decay among the PCA leadership is pretty profound. Or maybe I'm just way out of touch. I was told by a commissioner to this year's assembly that outside he overheard a group of commissioners (from the hip progressive side was the implication) using profanity, swearing and F-bombs. He gently chided them but was told Jesus loved us and a little swearing sometimes is okay.
I find that puzzling in a sense. We are admonished to 'let no filthy communication come out of your mouth.' to be a 'peculiar people, zealous of good works.' While none of us can achieve perfection in this life, sanctification is something that should be taken seriously. Do they believe the Scriptures ?
Colossians 3:8
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Titus 2:14
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

It's anecdotal and only on one report; but, it raises questions of that sort.
I find that puzzling in a sense. We are admonished to 'let no filthy communication come out of your mouth.' to be a 'peculiar people, zealous of good works.' While none of us can achieve perfection in this life, sanctification is something that should be taken seriously. Do they believe the Scriptures ?

It's a problem and I saw another prominent example of it today on FB. This is why I appreciated just how strong Dr. Pipa's comments were on the subject of this thread.
See, that points up the problem. Sometime being gentle in chiding isn't the appropriate response. Building a reputation as the nicest guy in the room brings its own reward, but it isn't going to win many battles.

I, too, resonate with Dr. Pipa's comments and am wholly in agreement with them.

I am quite familiar with the orchestra, opera, and ballet. On artistic grounds, this is grossly effeminate. Mr. Myers is correct: men typically only lift women this way in ballet.

On ecclesiastical grounds, this is to be abominated. I do hope that appropriate actions are taken with respect to this. I will not say more than this publicly at this point.

I cannot recall using such language about matters in a sister denomination that I cherish in any public forum and certainly not in writing, but I've thought carefully about this. May God have mercy on us and grant the needed Reformation to all branches of His Church.

Peace,
Alan

May God have mercy on us and grant the needed Reformation to all branches of His Church.
Alan, I have made positive comments in a previous post about the strong confessionalism of the Reformed Churches of New Zealand and one positive thing in this demomination has been the growing number of pastors trained at Mid-America Reformed Seminary who seem to have a great deal of pastoral maturity. I am sure they will make a blessed contribution to the demonination in years to come.

In that previous post I made negative comments about some in the broader NZ Reformed scene who were adopting weaker views of the Regulative Principle of worship. I did wonder if my criticism was too harsh, but seeing these abuses of the RPW in this particular PCA has confirmed my conviction of what can happen when a church weakens its confessional committments.

And Amen to your comment about God's mercy and Reformation to all branches of His Church.

Stephen:

We've had the wonderful opportunity to help in the training of some outstanding men serving in the RCNZ in your beautiful land. We've just had another such brother matriculate.

I marvel that a sinner like me has not only been called to salvation in Christ but also to be privileged to serve in His Kingdom in this fashion. What a good and gracious God we serve!

I am deeply grateful for these RCNZ brothers and I thank you for your kind comments. We all need to be in much prayer for such Reformation.

Peace,
Alan

I wasn't thinking that it would be originated with the MNY Presbytery, failing to be mindful of the differences here between the PCA and OPC.

As I recall, according to your BOCO, only one subject to or part of a particular court may file a complaint against it. The OPC BCO provides for one presbytery to file a complaint against another. If the complaining Presbytery is not satisfied with the disposition of its complaint, it may file an appeal with GA. Things work differently in the PCA.

Thus, you may well be right.

Peace,
Alan

I am deeply grateful for these RCNZ brothers and I thank you for your kind comments. We all need to be in much prayer for such Reformation.
My pleasure Alan. As you may be aware, the Reformed Churches of NZ have their Synod later this year. New Zealand is fast coming an anti Christian country (we are more secular than the USA) so there are real challanges for ministers here in coming years. Also there is pressure on the RCNZ to "modernise" their worship to cater for a fast changing society.

Some USA ministers who have come here to minister the Word and sacrament have been discouraged because we do not have the number of Reformed churches as the USA (particularly to offer extra fellowship and support). Certainly prayer from our OPC friends is much appreciated.

I have often encouraged my friends to listen to Dr Lloyd-Jones classic sermons on reival. One may have the odd disagreement re Dr Lloyd-Jones view of the Holy Spirit, but his God-centered approach is surely what we desperately need today USA, NZ and all nations of the world! https://www.mljtrust.org/collections/revival/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back