Bill Walton died today at 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I joined PB (yesterday), a thread on Bill Walton’s passing was the last thing I imagined I’d find. But as a longtime Celtics fan, I am slightly gratified. He was a legend.

As someone who is largely ignorant of sports (but who is getting an education from the fact that the TVs in my workroom are usually turned on to ESPN), my observation is that Walton's career was severely hampered by major injuries and health issues, but that the few seasons where he was able to keep it together were sufficiently legendary to ensure him a lasting reputation. Some of the footage of him was pretty remarkable, even for someone who has never watched a basketball game.

my observation is that Walton's career was severely hampered by major injuries and health issues,
If I had to guess the vegetarian/vegan diet that he switched to hampered his abilities to recover. In a sport a brutal as NBA basketball, you need protein!

If I had to guess the vegetarian/vegan diet that he switched to hampered his abilities to recover. In a sport a brutal as NBA basketball, you need protein!
I agree! I wonder if he would have fared better today, since there are better plant protein options.

Weren't his injuries more skeletal and related to the arch of his foot? Genuine question, since as mentioned above I'd never heard of the guy until he kicked the bucket.

Weren't his injuries more skeletal and related to the arch of his foot? Genuine question, since as mentioned above I'd never heard of the guy until he kicked the bucket.
He had lots of injuries, but the foot was the most recurring one. I think the arch was only a problem after he’d broken bones in his foot, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back