Bigger families gain in popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is partly why I am a postmillennialist. The secularist birthrate is in the negative. Many Christian families are booming (not enough, sadly). If we aim multi-generationally, other factors being equal (we'll come back to this), we can't help but win this country back.

However, there are certain factors we need to take into account:
*the rise of Islam.
*Secularists in Washington will make a last-ditch effort to wipe out my people. That will fail, no doubt, but it will give us a scare for a while.

This is partly why I am a postmillennialist. The secularist birthrate is in the negative. Many Christian families are booming (not enough, sadly).
The problem is that the secularists have a very succesful recruiting campaign. 88 percent of children from evangelical households leave the church at around age 18 and don't come back. So, a supermajority of children growing up in Christian households leave the faith. It makes me very sad. :um:

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Scott]

Originally posted by Scott
This is partly why I am a postmillennialist. The secularist birthrate is in the negative. Many Christian families are booming (not enough, sadly).
The problem is that the secularists have a very succesful recruiting campaign. 88 percent of children from evangelical households leave the church at around age 18 and don't come back. So, a supermajority of children growing up in Christian households leave the faith.

But not Reformed households. Plus, secularists have been killing off their voting bloc via abortion. We'll win. Its slow going, but we will win. Secondly, the evangelicals with larger households tend to have more stable households, thus decreasing the % of children leaving.

But not Reformed households.

is there statistics that show this?

i posted this in another forum a few days back.
no response linking to specific data.

from the NYT:
evangelicals fear lose of their youth

interesting article in today's NYT

Their alarm has been stoked by a highly suspect claim that if current trends continue, only 4 percent of teenagers will be “Bible-believing Christians” as adults. That would be a sharp decline compared with 35 percent of the current generation of baby boomers, and before that, 65 percent of the World War II generation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/06/us/06evangelical.html

does anyone know of good reliable figures on % of covenant youth remaining in the church?

tia.

does anyone know of good reliable figures on % of covenant youth remaining in the church?

No doubt there are covenant children that leave, but I would figure it would be astronomically lower than the slappy-clappy evangelicals who leave.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
This is partly why I am a postmillennialist.

:lol:

I guess the dispensationalist families have fewer kids because of Jesus’ warning to those who are pregnant during the end times.

:)

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul

I guess the dispensationalist families have fewer kids because of Jesus’ warning to those who are pregnant during the end times.

Right, the very concept of "tomorrow" or "multi-generational" is postmillennial.

(This is tongue-in-cheek, btw).

Reformed ppl are gaining ground...but still slow running. Why? Because their own are shooting them. I've had "reformed" ppl try to shoot me down.

We (soon to have 5 bairns) just don't listen to whatever criticism we encounter. It doesn't come too strong or too often anyway, so that makes ignoring it easy. Doesn't phase us...

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth..."

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
We (soon to have 5 bairns) just don't listen to whatever criticism we encounter. It doesn't come too strong or too often anyway, so that makes ignoring it easy. Doesn't phase us...

Congrats, brother! :pilgrim:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

I didn't catch that the first time I read it. Congrats and God bless, Bruce.

Especially if they propagate at a rate of 5 to 1. :) May God bless you and your quiver full, Bruce.

It may have been due to the area we were in. We are now in an area where large families are not just accepted, they are encouraged. The churches we have found here have quite a few ppl my age and having large families just like us. No one is asking us anymore when we are going to quit, no one is nosing in on our finances, no one is telling us we are irresponsible or being unkind to kids in foster care by having our own (and by the way, Kudos to those that do foster care, but my husband just does not feel called to this).

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul

Five Hill children for me! :scholar:

Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

I didn't catch that the first time I read it. Congrats and God bless, Bruce.
Missed it too! Congratulations! May the Lord watch over you guys during the knitting process.

what does the food bill for a family of 16 look like?:bigsmile: I guess that father wouldn't be shopping regularly at christianbook.com :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Slippery
what does the food bill for a family of 16 look like?:bigsmile: I guess that father wouldn't be shopping regularly at christianbook.com :bigsmile:

We have 11 of 12 at home now, but having a very prudent wife, it is not that much different from an average home which indulges in luxury. Hence I have some spare dollars to spend at the reformed bookshop. :)

It pays to but in bulk. :)

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by armourbearer]

Well, ya know...if they just used cloth they could save a ton of money! And if she wouldn't wean exactly at 6mos (well, then there would most likely be less Duggars) ;)

(brought to you by the hippie on the forum :rofl: )

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by LadyFlynt]

We are blessed with 7 children, 1 girl and 6 boys. May our boys grow up to be leaders in His church. May our daughter be spoken of as the virtuous woman.

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
We're not able to have children. It gets depressing sometimes.

How about adopting or fostering? I know of couples who have seen barrenness as a guiding providence to become protectors of the fatherless. Especially precious to them is the promise that God sets the solitary in families, Ps. 68:6. Blessings!

Originally posted by armourbearer
Originally posted by Slippery

We have 11 of 12 at home now, but having a very prudent wife, it is not that much different from an average home which indulges in luxury. Hence I have some spare dollars to spend at the reformed bookshop. :)

It pays to but in bulk. :)

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by armourbearer]

God has richly blessed you! We are about to begin phase 2. We have four now, two of which are fraternal twins so who knows what we will get this time around. :D

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
We're not able to have children. It gets depressing sometimes.
I know I don't know your situation...but...

I was also told that I couldn't conceive....;) <-- me 6 children and 1 loss later.

And there is adoption.

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by LadyFlynt]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back