Big Words in the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Being from the dumbed down baby food version of the church I often find the vocabulary on PB foreign to my ears and eyes. I feel like Jethro Bodine at a MENSA convention. I have often thought of suggesting a section for newbies where people would post basic definitions and explanations for people new to reformed thought. I opted not to because I want others to have to work for it like I am.
:)

Anyway, there is a good discussion on big words in the Bible this week on http://www.whitehorseinn.org/

I like that they not only discuss what the words really mean but they discuss the facts that often speakers ASSUME that everyone knows what they mean when they use a word that is uncommon to the uninitiated. Some of us just don't know the lingo yet but boy could I do some charismatic/megachurch speak that would send you reaching for your decoder.

That may or may not work. It is a little intimidating to expose all ignorance. When I started reading here I had never heard the word preterist, or paedobaptism (and a host of others) and I had been in church all my life. I have heard at least five s;ightly diferent definitions of what a dispensationalist is. Who wants to expose themselves like that?

I know what you mean Richard. Is there a good Bible dictionary for these words use in theology? I use dictionary.com quite a bit but some of the words banty about here are not clearly defined. Maybe I need to ask people to more clealy define their terms and get over my embrassement of ignorance.

The wisest among us, I think, are those who know how little they know. It's a good thing to ask questions and seek clarification on definitions when in doubt.

There is a certain vocabulary in use here on the Puritan Board that is perhaps unique to the Reformed community. Certain words are employed here in ways that would sound strange in other contexts. Theological terms often require extremely precise connotations and sometimes need to be refined and defined by those who use them. Remember also that some people and sources may have distorted meanings associated with particular words or biases/associations (good or bad) with certain words that affect their use or non-use of them. It takes a little while to understand where people are coming from, but that's ok.

Ex: the word 'evangelical' historically is a noble word. However, its original meaning has been stretched (in the view of some) beyond any orthodox meaning. Hence, you may see the term 'evangellyfish' bandied about here to depict the jellyfish-like approach to theology (in contrast with strict adherence to Biblical orthodoxy) that many who call themselves evangelicals today epouse.

Some suggested resources:

Puritan Board Glossary of Reformed Acronyms (maybe we need a PB dictionary, eh?)

Wikipedia (keep in mind that encyclopedias, and this one in particular, which I like, may have peculiar biases and not all definitions and comments are accurate or authoritative)

Study Light (a site which has Bible dictionaries, encyclopedias and other useful study guides)

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Tu madre!

I have heard that said in Texas too! but it was from a nosegaurd lined up across from me on a football field...many many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back