Biblically Communicating with God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filter

Puritan Board Freshman
hello all!

As I have been learning more and more about reformed theology over the past couple years, my worldview has been challenged over and over again (which is good!) Lately I’m wondering about what proper communication with God practically looks like, especially in concerning receiving from the Lord.

I was saved 6 years ago when I was 20 - my initial entry of Christian life was into a highly charismatic organization - strong emphasis in tongues, prophecy (including writing prophecies, putting them in a hat, and having people randomly draw them), and healing. They taught us how conduct ‘listening prayer’ - going to God in prayer and silently meditating whilst waiting for a response. My theology has been consistently reforming since leaving the organization in 2016.

My question is - what is the reformed perspective on hearing from the Lord? Is this a sola scriptura situation, or does God still directly speak to us today if we take time to intentionally listen? If I am seeking direction from God in a decision I need to make, can/does God directly tell me (verbally or noetically) or does He only speak through Scripture and/or inclining my heart towards going a certain direction in a seemingly natural way?

Any insights would be appreciated!

If you want to hear from the Lord, have someone read the Scriptures out loud to you. :pilgrim:

And, if they whisper it, you can truly say you heard in a "still small voice".

Snarky answer out of the way, their are a lot of resources on monergism that you could explore this topic more:
https://www.monergism.com/topics/guidance-god’s-will.

Regarding " inclining my heart towards going a certain direction in a seemingly natural way?", my understanding is yes, and he gives us other believers to gain counsel from:

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.​

Matthew Henry (surprise!)

See here, 1. Of what ill consequence it is to be precipitate and rash, and to act without advice: Men's purposes are disappointed, their measures broken, and they come short of their point, gain not their end, because they would not ask counsel about the way. If men will not take time and pains to deliberate with themselves, or are so confident of their own judgment that they scorn to consult with others, they are not likely to bring any thing considerable to pass; circumstances defeat them which, with a little consultation, might have been foreseen and obviated. It is a good rule, both in public and domestic affairs, to do nothing rashly and of one's own head. Plus vident oculi quam oculus--Many eyes see more than one. That often proves best which was least our own doing. 2. How much it will be for our advantage to ask the advice of our friends: In the multitude of counsellors (provided they be discreet and honest, and will not give counsel with a spirit of contradiction) purposes are established. Solomon's son made no good use of this proverb when he acquiesced not in the counsel of the old men, but because he would have a multitude of counsellors, regarding number more than weight, advised with the young men.

In all seriousness, John Flavel is quite helpful on this topic:

"The manner of God’s revealing his will to men is also very different. Some have had special, personal, and peculiar discoveries of it made to them. So had Samuel about the choice of the person whom he should anoint king, 1 Sam. 9:15. And so had David, 1 Sam. 23:2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12 where you find upon his enquiry of God (likely by the Urim and Thummim, God told him what was his duty, as to that expedition, and what would be the event of it.
But now, all are tied up to the ordinary standing rule of the written word, and must not expect any such extraordinary revelations from God. The way we now have to know the will of God concerning us in difficult cases, is to search and study the scriptures, and where we find no particular rule to guide us in this, or that particular case, there we are to apply general rules, and govern ourselves according to the analogy, and proportion they bear towards each other.
But now it often falls out, that, in such doubtful cases, we are entangled in our own thoughts, and put to a loss what course to take. We pray with David, that God would make his way plain before us, Psalm 5:8. Afraid we are of displeasing God, and yet doubtful we may do so: whether we resolve this way, or that. And this comes to pass not only through the difficulty of the case, but from our own ignorance and inadvertency: and very frequently from those providences that lie before us, wherein God seems to hint his mind to us this way or that, and whether we may fafely guide ourselves by those intimations of providence, is doubtful to us.
That God doth give men secret hints and intimations of his will by his providence, cannot be doubted; but yet providences in themselves, are no stable rule of duty, nor sufficient discovery of the will of God. We may say of them, as it is, Job 23:8, 9. “Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: on the left hand where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him.”
If providence in itself be allowed to be a sufficient discovery of God’s will to us, then we shall be forced oftentimes to justify and condemn the same cause or person, forasmuch as there is one event happens to all; and as it falls out to the good, so to the wicked, Eccl. 9:2. Beside, if providence alone were the rule to judge any action or design by, then a wicked undertaking would cease to be so, if it should succeed well: but sin is sin still, and duty is duty still, whatever the events and issues of either be.
The safest way therefore to make use of providence, in such cases, is to consider them as they follow the commands or promises of the word, and not singly and separately in themselves. If you search the scriptures with an indifferent and unbiassed spirit, in a doubtful case, pray for counsel and direction from the Lord, attend to the dictates of conscience; when you have done all, and shall find the providences of God falling out agreeably to the dictates of your own conscience, and the best light you can find in the word, you may, in such cases, make use of it as an encouragement to you, in the way of your duty: but the most signal demonstrations of providence are not to be excepted against a Scripture-rule; no smiles or successes of providence may, in this case, encourage us to proceed; and, on the other side, no frowns or discouragements of providence should dishearten us in the way of our duty, how many soever we should encounter therein. Holy Job could not find the meaning of God in his works, yet would he not “go back from the commandment of his lips,” Job 23:9. The like resolution you find in David, to proceed in his duty, and cleave to the word, how many stumbling-blocks soever providence should permit to be laid in his way. “I am become (saith he) like a bottle in the smoke, (not only blackt, but withered up by troubles) yet do I not forget thy statutes,” Psal. 119:83 and again, ver. 87. “They had almost consumed me upon earth: but I forsook not thy precepts.”

Flavel, J. (1820). The Whole Works of the Reverend John Flavel (Vol. 4, pp. 468–470). London; Edinburgh; Dublin: W. Baynes and Son; Waugh and Innes; M. Keene.

If I am seeking direction from God in a decision I need to make, can/does God directly tell me (verbally or noetically) or does He only speak through Scripture and/or inclining my heart towards going a certain direction in a seemingly natural way?
In addition to the previous responses, you can certainly ask God for wisdom. Wisdom sees a fitting way to apply God's commands and one's own reason/common sense in making a decision and discerning God's providential dealings in the light of Scripture.

For practical steps, see p. 154ff of this book (a marriage preparation book): https://www.ugandamission.net/hk1/shoulder041509.pdf

You may also find this post from Samuel Pike helpful on "impressions" (see Case XI): https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/how-does-one-discern-gods-will.69629/#post-892989

Edit: Samuel Pike is also found here: http://www.westminsterconfession.org/godly-living/discerning-providential-guidance.php

Last edited:
Hi, Jake!
You’ve been given some great answers already, but I wanted to add this verse, since inclinations of the heart was mentioned:
The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; Who can understand it?
Jeremiah 17:9

You want to look at the scriptures, follow God’s promises, consider the reach of commandments, be wise, and get good Christian friends of whom you may ask advice. You will start to learn more as you guys interact. When your heart becomes more aligned with God, he will grant you your desires, and as it says, “do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you.” If you are set in all things to do good for God’s kingdom and glory, there is freedom to do his will.
But be mindful that the heart is incredibly wicked and sinful, as Jenny said. I recommend study closely the Ten Commandments in the Larger Catechism. You may be at a stage where you need to meditate much on these things in addition to considering wisdom, like Solomon’s. Be in ready fellowship with brother’s from a very sound church who lead godly lives.
Be tender in heart and immediate to pray about all things.

Be well, cheers

EDIT:
But god does not “speak,” but by or in the Word. See chapter one of the Confession. I was more giving advice on decision-making. Just because he has ceased his former ways of revealing himself, doesn’t mean he doesn’t guide us in life. God is actively concerned with helping all believers live their lives for him in every way, and provides ordinary means for them to do so. “The LORD is my shepherd” The third person of the Trinity is, in fact, called the helper, “The Spirit, the helper” John 14:26.

An area to consider is Special vs General revelation. The special revelation we need has been recorded in the Scripture. God illuminates the believer’s understanding of the Scripture and would that he and does help him make the best use of that understanding with respect to his circumstances. I mean that in a general sense. We are not to expect inward illumination by the Spirit of specific scriptures at certain times to lead us in particular events.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back