Biblical view of pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a big animal person, but I see the value for man in having pets. Some (like our dog, Honeybrown) add a level of peace and comfort and enjoyment to a family. When my husband is out late, I feel safer knowing that my dog will bark (at least, and hopefully she'd bite!) if a stranger approached. I feel especially safer if I'm traveling with the children and my husband is either not with us or even just in the rest area. I know that God is the one keeping me safe, but I like seeing one of those means of protection visibly. And there are often reasons why people are isolated from other people--it is nice to have a living companion.
So I guess my pet philosophy is if they add to your life, they are a blessing. Which is why I can't personally get behind having cats or rodents as pets. They don't seem to add any companionship or safety or, well, anything. BUT, if I did have some rodents in the house, I'd change my mind about the cat being worthless.
Plus, there are fish, which simply add beauty and mystery. I guess I could see having fish for that reason. And, I suppose for others even cats and rodents could add something like that. (Though I cannot see how.)

When Jesus came back in his body after death, he ate fish with his disciples.

And in the NT there is talk of dining with Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Will we eat in heaven? And if so, does it have to be a vegetarian meal? And if not, what of the subject of animal death in Paradise?

I believe we will eat food in heaven though I doubt we will eat our pets.

I sleep with my Shihtzu, Mac, and Beagle, Mr. Calvin.

In a lifetime of theological study, no theologian has addressed the issue to my satisfaction. However, I'm pretty sure that both dogs and cats make it into eternity.

If you go to heaven, you get to take your dog. If you want to spend eternity with a cat, you have to go to the other place.

But Zwingli died in battled, didn't he? A brave cat! Perhaps she was right :)

Perhaps we should do a PB picture of pets thread. I don't think we've done one in a while.

If you want to spend eternity with a cat, you have to go to the other place.
Au contraire, my good fellow - I will spend eternity in heaven with a Self-described, cat-like God (the conquering Lion of Judah) - perhaps, and hopefully so, with my awesome cats - while all those evildoers ("dogs," I believe the great Apostle called them) spend eternity in the other place...:D

If you want to spend eternity with a cat, you have to go to the other place.
Au contraire, my good fellow - I will spend eternity in heaven with a Self-described, cat-like God (the conquering Lion of Judah) - perhaps, and hopefully so, with my awesome cats - while all those evildoers ("dogs," I believe the great Apostle called them) spend eternity in the other place...:D

Well played! Touche!

However, I would never want to confuse the magnificent "Lion of Judah" with those mangy, foul tempered, fickle, and phlegmatic felines common to some American households.

Give me a good dog any day! My "boys" are loyal, will guard family members with their own lives, and exemplify so many of the characteristics that I find admirable. Quite apart from the anthropomorphizing of pets in the U.S., it always amazes me how our dogs will cry at the door when either my wife or I are away on a business trip. And, when either of us is ill with a fever, they will station themselves in a comforting protective position around us. A couple of weeks ago, upon arriving home to care for my feverish wife, the Shihtzu was asleep on Jeanette's legs on her recliner; the beagle (Mr. Calvin) was fast asleep on the seat next to her, stretched out against her thigh. Somehow the dumb animals "sense" the need and respond to it helpfully. Would that we were such quick studies in loyal obedience towards our heavenly Father!

Indeed, Dennis. Shih Tzus are a very human sensitive breed. I have two now, having had to put one down to encephalitus not long ago. I weeped for our little "Tiny" who had lost its mind and was given over to seizures, despite MRIs and plenty of drugs before I finally conceded she was beyond help.

My two Shih Tzus also sleep with me. They know when I am ill and live to be near me. One of them climbs up on my chest to sleep when I am working with my laptop. Sort of a message to stop and enjoy the moment.

I probably have an irrational view of my dogs and the afterlife, but this has always comforted me in my grief for their loss:

The Rainbow Bridge

AMR

Last edited:
I got my dog Holly for Christmas for my children. A lab terrier mix, paid nothing for her. She is now 2 years old. She is my buddy. Especially during my recovery from surgery. She keeps me company when my wife and children are away from the house. I love her as my pet. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just because pets are not talked about in the bible does not mean that we should not have pets or love them if we do.

Whether there are animals in eternity, your guess is as good as mine. He created animals before us... who is to say he won't create them again. :)

I simply raise chickens. Speckled Sussex right now. I love them in that they have great temperaments, are rather gentile and beautiful, they lay quite well, and they taste wonderful. They have sat in my lap, I have pet the more friendly of the flock often. I deal with them in compassion, seeing them as lesser creatures in my care, provide for them, and even feel a form of sorrow when they are in pain and attempt to alleviate this in the most appropriate way I can. Some have names that my children have given them and I even call those by their names. But when slaughter time comes I Praise God for the meat he has provided with full joy in my heart. I don't feel the slightest bit of sadness. They just taste so good.

As for pets, my wife has allergies to cats, my eldest son to dogs, so we are limited there. When I am in my eldest years I would certainly love to have a large heavily wrinkled bloodhound at my feet on a porch as I rock in my rocking chair, reading and learning more of the Lord, perhaps the dog even giving a howl when our family sings Psalms around an evening fire. I do believe Pink took a very strict view of dogs being 'wicked creatures?' I say nonsense.

If there are animals in paradise, I think any idea of 'eating them' is out of the question unless we are to draw a dichotomy between the definition of death in regards to humans and animals. Death is death, the spirit on the other hand is another subject. I do not believe animals died prior to the fall, nor do I believe they will die (if present) after the Lord brings restoration to the Earth. As much as I love meat, I won't miss it in the least as my full nourishment is in the Lord to whom I will be, along with the church, the Bride of in Glory! The King of the universe is mine and I his.

loved that video AMR. I too have such an irrational view of my pets and the afterlife. reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a man and his dog die and are on the road to heaven. They come to a place which they are told is heaven but the man must leave his dog behind. He refuses and continues on the road with his dog. He finally finds the right path to heaven and both are welcomed in. I have longed for heaven ever since my wife died. Oh to go home!!!!

It seems clear that whatever view one takes of animals in the new creation, pets are one of God's sustaining mercies to us here; and we're 'going home' to the fountain of that comfort and goodness in going home to our God. One of Calvin's prayers in His lectures on Habakkuk speaks of seeing 'face to face, in Thine image, whatever can be wished, and whatever is needful for our perfect happiness through Christ our Lord.'

How are we to view pets from a biblical worldview? I don't think there's anything wrong with having a pets, but where should the line be drawn? For that matter, where did the concept of keeping pets even come from? I can't recall reading of anyone in scripture having them. Should we love our pets? I know we don't have agape or eros love for them but does it fall under phileo love? Is it wrong to care about a pet to the point where we are upset over them? They don't have souls, so we shouldn't mourn for them the same way we do when a person dies, right? BTW, I have a little yorkie for a pet. I enjoy his company and I imagine I would miss him if he was gone, but I couldn't see myself being upset on the level I would be when a human dies, or if I did, I think I'd feel guilty about it. Curious to hear others thoughts.

Can we say from Scripture that (all) animals don't have souls? Not eternal souls or souls made in God's Image.

Yes. I'm not saying that animals have eternal souls or are made in God's Image, but am asking whether or not any animals have souls of some sort.

"Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?" (Eccl. 3: 21.)

"Who knoweth the spirit [רוח (ruwach)]of man that goeth upward, and the spirit [רוח (ruwach)] of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?"

Job 15:2 Should a wise man utter vain [רוח (ruwach)] knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

In Psalm 49, the psalmist argues that those who live in pomp without understanding 'are like the beasts that perish'. These are those who are living wholly in the light of, and for the goods of, this age, thinking these perishable things will last -- without hope of true immortality. In Psalm 73 the Psalmist compares himself to a beast when he forgets his end, and is envious of the prosperity of the wicked. So when he forgets to think in the light of his immortality, he puts himself on the plane of being of the animals, who do not have such a hope. I am hesitant to mention these things because of the painful circumstances of many in this thread (there is certainly a lot of comfort in the unique traits and 'personalities' of animals, especially in sickness or loss). But I think we would all agree that our hope is to see our Lord who bought us with His blood, and bought all our comforts in this life for us -- and while I am certain that we will not think ourselves deprived of any good thing in His presence, and I think that animals show us something of what His presence is like (and I believe the new creation will hold every good in its truest form that we love here) -- I think Scripture would give no reason to suppose that our pets have immortality. Rather they are special gifts (often suited so perfectly to individual needs) of our Saviour in this hard world through which we must pass, to eternal joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back