Biblical Federalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've been doing some reading regarding this subject. I was reading an article by Loraine Boettner entitled, "The Representative Principle. In it he writes:

As originally created, man was perfect of his kind, possessing a positive inclination toward virtue, yet fallible. He was perfect as the bud is perfect and capable of developing into the flower, or as the acorn is perfect and capable of developing into the oak tree. He was not created as a machine or automaton, but as a free moral agent who might choose evil and plunge himself and everything connected with him into disaster. It is apparently true, as Dr. Fairbairn has said, that "Moral perfection can be attained, but cannot be created; God can make a being capable of moral action, but not a being with all the fruits of moral action garnered within him." Had Adam chosen good, then, by that very action he would have produced moral goodness, and God would have confirmed him (that is, made permanent his character) in that goodness as He has confirmed the holy angels in heaven in their goodness.
(italics and underlining mine)

Now when Boettner says, "Had Adam chosen good, then, by that very action he would have produced moral goodness, and God would have confirmed him (that is, made permanent his character) in that goodness as He has confirmed the holy angels in heaven in their goodness", does this mean that God would have "elevated" Adam, so to speak, in regards to his nature so that he would have been above the temptation of sin? Is this how we will be in heaven after being glorified, above the temptation to ever sin against God again?

Hi Greg,
Thats what I believe Fairbain meant; through Gods confirming, sanctification would be ultimately accomplished throughout Adams life and into the Heavenlies where it then would be complete.

I wonder what he means by:

It is apparently true, as Dr. Fairbairn has said, that "Moral perfection can be attained, but cannot be created;

Is he speaking to how God has made things, or what God CAN do? I hope it is the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back