Bibleworks 8 Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on, let me check.

Okay, all versions are included. In other words, the main version is the 1789 revision. However, the words that were cut out are included within square brackets in the appropriate place. So all the words of the original are there as well.

Yes, they do include the 3FU. By the way, all proof texts are included, and are clickable (ah, the beauty of computers!).

You've got my blood boiling there Rev. Lane... Just sent a nice little groveling e-mail to the parents... :lol: ;)

(By the way I think my seminary has a deal with BW for a significant discount, I'll have to check that out...)

Thanks. I had already been waiting to pick up this version, and this new info just adds to my belief that it would be a good investment.

Of course, if you have a version already, the upgrade is significantly cheaper anyway. I paid $149 to upgrade from version 7, and I consider that an absolute steal.

I have installed BW 8 on my computer, and I must say that I am blown away by it. Get this: the Schaff Early Church Fathers fully integrated (which means that you can find every place the ECF mention a particular verse simply by scrolling down the screen), the Jewish targums and Talmud (the former in Aramaic and English translation, the latter only in English), also fully integrated in a similar manner. That right there is the worth the whole price. Cross-reference systems (note the plural) actually written out, instead of needing to click on them; Jouon-Muraoka's revised grammar, IBHS by Waltke/O'Connor, Wallace's Syntax and lots more. It is incredible.

Lane,

How do you access the targums and Talmud? I only found a chm type file divided up by "Sabbaths." Not very useful. I'd like to be able to use Talmud comments on the passage I am reading.

I really like the additional tabs in the Analysis Window, but I wish they had left the ability to click on the Xrefs that came up in it from the ESV and NASB notes and see the text of the verse instead of just the reference. Now I have to switch tabs.

I have installed BW 8 on my computer, and I must say that I am blown away by it. Get this: the Schaff Early Church Fathers fully integrated (which means that you can find every place the ECF mention a particular verse simply by scrolling down the screen), the Jewish targums and Talmud (the former in Aramaic and English translation, the latter only in English), also fully integrated in a similar manner. That right there is the worth the whole price. Cross-reference systems (note the plural) actually written out, instead of needing to click on them; Jouon-Muraoka's revised grammar, IBHS by Waltke/O'Connor, Wallace's Syntax and lots more. It is incredible.

Lane,

How do you access the targums and Talmud? I only found a chm type file divided up by "Sabbaths." Not very useful. I'd like to be able to use Talmud comments on the passage I am reading.

I really like the additional tabs in the Analysis Window, but I wish they had left the ability to click on the Xrefs that came up in it from the ESV and NASB notes and see the text of the verse instead of just the reference. Now I have to switch tabs.

On the Targums, click on the Browse Window Options, and then click Choose Display Versions. OKE is the Onkelos English translation, PJE is the Pseudo-Jonathan English translation, and PST is the Psalms Targum English translation (they don't seem to have an English translation of Neofiti). As to the Talmud, it's in the summary window (right hand window, click on Resources, and then Summary). Scroll down, and you will find all the references in Rodkinson's Talmud. I would click on Genesis 1:1. It will also have all confessional references there when you download the relevant update and reload Bibleworks.

Lane,

On the Targums, click on the Browse Window Options, and then click Choose Display Versions. OKE is the Onkelos English translation, PJE is the Pseudo-Jonathan English translation, and PST is the Psalms Targum English translation (they don't seem to have an English translation of Neofiti). As to the Talmud, it's in the summary window (right hand window, click on Resources, and then Summary). Scroll down, and you will find all the references in Rodkinson's Talmud. I would click on Genesis 1:1. It will also have all confessional references there when you download the relevant update and reload
Bibleworks.

So the OKE and PJE are Pentateuch only, the PST is Psalms only, right? Is there a Targum for the other OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back