Bibles Galore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynteriii

Puritan Board Freshman
I was just looking around my room and realized that I might have a lot of Bibles. Right now what I use is:

ESV Wide Margin- For sermon note taking and Prof. Horner's Bible Reading System

ESV Study Bible - For preparing a lesson/sermon, I leave it on my desk.

ESV Reformation Study Bible - I use this for a couple of reasons. I use it when I give a lesson/sermon but use it especially when I need to make a lesson/sermon when I'm not able to go home. I take this everywhere along with my ESV Wide Margin.

NASB John MacArthur Study Bible - I've had this for 3 years now and sometimes I take a look inside to get the NASB translation and MacArthur's commentary.

I have more than this but these are the ones I use the most.

True, if I wrote notes while spending time in the system. My notes would probably be crazy scribbles.

This is the first I've read of Prof.Horner's system. I also have 'Bibles galore' and read various translations day to day. I notice in describing his system Prof.Horner says," You also need to get ONE Bible, keep it, and do all your reading in it, so you learn where everything is. I’ve had the same Bible since 1983 and I know it intimately. If you keep switching Bibles, you ‘lose’ this intimacy with the text. Find a translation and format you like and stick with it. THIS IS CRUCIAL"

I would have a hard time with that. :um:

I also have many Bibles. I have ESV, KJV, NKJV, HCSB, NIV, AS 1901, NAS, JB, Geneva Bible, plus a few a can't think of right now. I only say this that it taught me a lesson. To many versions and I was getting confused about meorizing scripture. Now I use the KJV and every once in a while will look into another translation.

Prof. Horner's plan is a good one. For me though it was not enough reading. I enjoy entire book's in one setting. Once you get used to reading an entire book it really does not take that long.

It hurts every time I think about how many Bibles I have. I am so unthankful.
I can empathize with you here sir.

I was either speaking to my Pastor or my Fiancé about how in the West there can be a church at every corner, a bible to read on every street and yet western Christians do not. The persucuted church when they just get a section of scripture know it by heart that very day. They treasure the word of God.

I believe this problem is not so much too much access but very little devotion. We live in an age of distraction.

If you keep switching Bibles, you ‘lose’ this intimacy with the text. Find a translation and format you like and stick with it. TH

O so true. I am an ESV user but I must tell you I also think there are some translations which are more profound then others. KJV or AV as I prefer not to place a Kings name other then Jesus on the word of God; is a piece of art and one worth memorizing.

This is the first I've read of Prof.Horner's system. I also have 'Bibles galore' and read various translations day to day. I notice in describing his system Prof.Horner says," You also need to get ONE Bible, keep it, and do all your reading in it, so you learn where everything is. I’ve had the same Bible since 1983 and I know it intimately. If you keep switching Bibles, you ‘lose’ this intimacy with the text. Find a translation and format you like and stick with it. THIS IS CRUCIAL"

I would have a hard time with that. :um:

Me too! Especially because I don't use a "book" and do my Prof Horner on my IPad where I just "click" to the next section. And I highlight on the Ipad screen, always meaning to transfer the highlight to my "carry bible" but I never seem to get around to doing that task. I find all the bookmarks to keep up with Prof. Horner's plan in a "book" to be hopelessly distracting for me.

I find all the bookmarks to keep up with Prof. Horner's plan in a "book" to be hopelessly distracting for me.

What I did was print out a plain text version of the list in 10 or 11 pt. font, shortening the descriptions from 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonnians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, & Titus down to "Pastorals" (even though I know 1 & 2 Thess are not pastorals), doing this for all the sections "Gospels" "Catholic Epistles" etc. etc. and this results in a book mark that is only about 1/4 of an inch high by about 3 inches long. This tiny bookmark then falls directly into the gutter of the pages in my Bible, and is not distracting at all. Think it's too small to work? Try it. You'll notice that it's just big enough that when you get near the book you're looking for, the bookmark will almost always naturally turn you to your section in just a moment. Call me particular, but I love this method with my Pitt Minion and now my Clarion...

I started writing where I am at on an index card for the Horner plan and find that works well, especially with the longer books. I just erase the chapter each day and put down the new one.

I am an NASB guy which is pretty rare in the UK
I just bought a 1977 word study NASB only to find it en-route to a holiday flat address. Fortunately Amazon seem to be able to redirect it even though it is en-route.

For study I use e-sword to access the Greek/Hebrew and of course you can download John Gill's commentary.

I was converted on the NIV so it holds a special place in my heart. (still prefer the NASB for accurate translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back