Bible Verse Most Taken out of Context?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then what would you say is the proper view of this verse?

The context is Jesus speaking to the CHURCH of Laodicea. They have become like the putrid lukewarm water that flows into that city; in essence, they have become Christless. Jesus is asking his servants to let him back inside his church. Therefore, it's not a call to unbelievers to let Christ into their hearts, but for the church to return to its head and master.

-----Added 10/14/2009 at 06:36:39 EST-----

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Misused to support a pretribulational rapture.

:lol: I always got a kick out of this one because even in my pre-mill Dispensational days, I knew that this passage alone did nothing to support that view; there are absolutely no timing markers presented in this passage. You always had to combine this with other passages to make a 'case' for that view.

-----Added 10/14/2009 at 06:38:17 EST-----

Jn 3:16, we all know how its done, I need not expound on it.

If you don't mind, could you expound on it a bit?

:popcorn:

1 thes. 5:22
the sin sniffer's favorite

and heb 13:4 (i've heard horrible interpetations on THAT one!)

Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection I hear this quoted so often but they never quote and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.

People hate when you bring up suffering.

Not sure if anyone mentioned John 10:10 everyone wants that abundant life. For it goes with no suffering.

-----Added 10/14/2009 at 09:07:57 EST-----

Regarding John 3:16 I read a survey taken at the football stadiums across the nation asking people if they ever seen the signs stating John 3:16. They were asked what did it mean and the number one response by those surveyed was that it was John Maddens weight.

Christ will come "as a thief in the night" (II Peter 3:10), is used to prove that Christ could possibly come in His Second Advent at any time, and thus against postmillennialism, which teaches that Christ in His Second Advent is not coming for a long time.

But the teaching that Christ will come as a "thief in the night" is not incompatible with Postmillenialism

(a) Because for most people Christ will come for them in death.

(b) We are told in I Thessalonians 5:4 that that day does not need to overtake believers as a thief. Not because we know the day or hour of our death, or because we know the year, thousands of years from now, when Christ will return, but because we are ready by being justified by Christ's blood, and in a sense can be even more ready by not being in a state of backsliding when He comes for us.

In this respect I don't understand Christians who say, "If the Lord tarry" As far as I'm concerned, if they're talking about the Second Advent and End of the World, we know that the Lord is going to tarry until all nations are Christianised, at least.

Clearly Matthew 7:1. Also 1 Chronicles 16:22, Jeremiah 29:11, 1 Chronicles 4:10, Philippians 3:13, Matthew 18:20, John 18:36, Romans 3:23, Psalms 2:4, Galatians 3:28.

And let's not forget everyone's favorite "healthy living" verse:

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own," (1 Corinthians 6:19)

Verses a good or bad invention

Has the use of verses led to the use of scripture as soundbites. I just wonder if breaking scripture down into tiny fragments called "verses" has hindered proper exegesis.

Then again are the people making such basic errors really going to pay attention?

Any of the texts in the Psalms having to do with "singing a new song". Much maligned out of context as justification for new compositions, which may be either here or there.

Rather, the context informs the phrase, and "singing a new song" has to do with the extension of the gospel to the Gentiles.

I know this will ruffle a few feathers but I have heard people try to isolate Romans 8:28 to try to comfort those who are in grief. While the context of the verse is in our future hope, it is not meant as a verse to comfort the mourning of a loved one, especially when those whom the grievers are grieving over are not regenerate.

2 Sam. 12:23 - But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? (n) can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Well, it does say "to HIM," AKA the child. Not to "sheol" or the grave or a hole in the ground. He was referring to a person, not a place.

2 Sam. 12:23 - But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? (n) can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Well, it does say "to HIM," AKA the child. Not to "sheol" or the grave or a hole in the ground. He was referring to a person, not a place.
Much the way that, in Genesis, dead patriarchs are said to have been "gathered to [their] fathers."

I take back considering this a most misinterpreted verse, though. I simply have seen it used poorly - nevertheless, I do believe in the salvation of elect infants, I just don't believe David is speaking of heaven in particular here, or that we can prove the salvation of infants using this verse. There are better prooftexts for that.

Well, a calendar published by folks who should know better included this verse: "All these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me” (Matt. 4:9)
:rolleyes:

I'd add Romans 6:14 to the list- "For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace." "See, it says we don't have to follow the law anymore!!!" "Actually, it says sin shall not have dominion over you. How do we know what sin is? Hmmmm???"

Well, a calendar published by folks who should know better included this verse: "All these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me” (Matt. 4:9)

:rofl: Wow! That's bad. Depending on the group, it might even be eerily ironic.

What? You've got a problem with quoting the Bible? :(

What are you, one of them pin-heady Calvinists or something? :lol:

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness" - 2Opinions 2:14

While not in the bible, you'd be surprised how many people think it is. :gpl:

These two combined.

1Co 14:2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1Co 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself,

OK, what's your vote for the Bible verse most taken out of context? I am casting my vote for Revelation 3:20...

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me

Nearly every time I hear this verse talked about in evangelical circles, it is always misquoted as an evangelistic verse ("Jesus, stands at the door to your heart and knocks. Won't you let him in?"). :barfy:

It seems to me more often than not that churches that interpret this verse in that way are the ones being talked about in that pericope...

Yeah some so-called evangelical preachers use this as an evagelistic verse, inviting the heathen to the faith. However this verse presupposes one is already a member of the covenant community. The phrase is found in a letter to the seven churches, this particular one being Laodecea. Further evidence is found in the next verse (v. 21), "...let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." The direct object in this verse is clearly the churches.

"Sell all you have and give to the poor"

The beatitudes taught from a liberal persuasion are constantly wrested.

And my favorite quote that is not scripture, but thought to be is:

"God helps those who help themselves"

Philippians 3:13: "But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,..."

I had a former girlfriend once quote her favorite Bible passage. "Waste Not Want Not". When I asked for the book, chapter, and verse, she got quite irritated. :)

Isaiah 53:5 ...and with His stripes we are healed . My Mother-in-law is a Pentecostal preacher, and if I hear that verse taken out of context one more time I think my head will explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back