Bible Translation Poll - 2020 Edition

Which is your primary Bible translation?

• ASV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CSB

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • EHV

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • ESV

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Geneva

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • HCSB

• KJV

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Lexham

• NASB

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • NET

• NIV

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • NKJV

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • RSV

• YLT

• Other (specify)

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A funny thing about editions that italicize words not directly from the original language. Quite a useful feature for the informed. But I knew a clique in school who collectively decided to completely disregard the italicized bits :eek:, to the great horror of the faculty.

I once wrote a short story about a guy deciding to do that. It became quite difficult at Psalm 119:113.

It's also the standard Bible for the PCUSA so that doesn't help.

Widely used along with the CEB in most mainline churches.

The Protestant Episcopal Church (a.k.a, The Episcopal Church) has a list of approved translations:

King James or Authorized Version (the historic Bible of The Episcopal Church)
English Revision (1881)
American Revision (1901)
Revised Standard Version (1952)
Jerusalem Bible (1966)
New English Bible with the Apocrypha (1970)
Good News Bible / Today's English Version (1976)
New American Bible (1970)
Revised Standard Version, an Ecumenical Edition (1973)
New International Version (1978)
New Jerusalem Bible (1987)
Revised English Bible (1989)
New Revised Standard Version (1990)
Common English Bible (2012)

A question for those who read the KJV.

Do you do so because you believe it is a superior translation or is it out of tradition/I was raised on the KJV?
As for the other reasons stated above being convinced of a TR position on textual methodology, and the reasons Tyler gave; True fact: no one will ever know half as much in regards to the biblical languages, as the men of renown who did the translational work. They spoke these languages in that timeframe as it were their mother tongues, and we think we understand biblical languages better than they, because we have BlueLetterBible and Strong's concordance. We live in the age of chronological snobbery, where we have the most access to information, but are the most ignorant.

Last edited:
True fact: no one will ever know half as much in regards to the biblical languages, as the men of renown who did the translational work. They spoke these languages in that timeframe as it were their mother tongues, and we think we understand biblical languages better than they, because we have BlueLetterBible and Strong's concordance.
Um... actually, that is blatantly false. There have certainly been great linguists in the past - Calvin, for example. But we know a great deal more about cognate languages than they did, which means that in some places we understand the Hebrew text better than they did. And Bible translators are not generally dependent on Strong's concordance and other such English language based resources. Love the KJV by all means because you respect its text critical basis, or love its beautiful use of English, but please don't idolize it as if it were a translation that couldn't possibly ever be wrong, or improved upon.

Um... actually, that is blatantly false. There have certainly been great linguists in the past - Calvin, for example. But we know a great deal more about cognate languages than they did, which means that in some places we understand the Hebrew text better than they did. And Bible translators are not generally dependent on Strong's concordance and other such English language based resources. Love the KJV by all means because you respect its text critical basis, or love its beautiful use of English, but please don't idolize it as if it were a translation that couldn't possibly ever be wrong, or improved upon.
I appreciate your input but simply disagree. I don't idolize the KJV in and of itself, but I do believe the Authorized is the best and most accurate translational work we have in the English language. It is a perfectly accurate translation, and have yet to stumble across any errors in it yet. I see you are a professor at Westminster, and as you can see yourself in both our confessions, my authority isn't the KJV, but the texts it was derived from. See: Chapter i. para. viii

With all due respect, I believe the way Greek is being taught in seminary today is a scam, and the people mounting the teaching desks thereof often know little of the language; and a student shall not be above his master. The truth of the matter is, most professors at seminaries could not ask for a glass of water in Greek, but are more focused upon using computer tools to parse "the true meaning" of one word in a passage. Until this can be proven otherwise, I cannot but help hold this view.

This view of mine was primarily derived from Anderson's + my local pastors efforts in "Going Back to the Greek Documentary" filmed in 2019. Also from Daniel Streett's blog on Greek pedagogy. https://www.google.com/amp/s/daniel...know-greek-basics-of-greek-pedagogy-pt-3/amp/

I respect your input as a professor, but am confident in the claim I've put forth. I am open to being wrong, however I can't help but cringe at the thought that we would ever understand the Hebrew Text better than they did. Most CT advocates for example would be of the opinion that "the" Septuagint should correct the Masoretic Text, and so on. If you can show me otherwise, I would be willing to renounce the claims.

Blessings in Christ

Last edited:
Well, let me point you to two places where the KJV simply got it wrong.
Psalm 121:1, "I to the hills will lift mine eyes, from whence doth come mine aid" is a question, not a statement. Here KJV follows Latin Vulgate along with Luther and the Geneva Bible, rather than working with the Hebrew text. me'ayin is always a question, everywhere else it occurs in the OT ("from whence?").

Likewise in the last word of Proverbs 29:18a "Where there is no vision the people perish", the KJV likewise follows the Vulgate (dissipabitur = destroyed; Geneva Bible: "decay") in its translation of the Niphal of para', which actually means "to unbind (hair), to let loose, run unrestrained). Hence Luther's accurate and vivid "das Volk wird Wild und Wust". I can find no other ancient or modern translation that agrees with KJV in English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish or Italian (I'd be happy to be corrected, if I missed something). And while we're at it, hazon, vision, specifically means a prophetic vision, not a generic "vision for evangelism" or similar modern parlance. That's not directly the KJV's fault, but it does make the ESV's translation "Where there is no prophetic vision, the people cast off restraint" significantly clearer.

As far as your anecdotal knowledge of current standards of Greek tuition, your experience is your experience. I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences. Perhaps you should advise your friends to study at Westminster, where it is taught more adequately. And there is no direct correlation between the average seminary Greek student and the competence of those who engage in the Bible translation process.

Psalm 121:1, "I to the hills will lift mine eyes, from whence doth come mine aid" is a question, not a statement. Here KJV follows Latin Vulgate along with Luther and the Geneva Bible, rather than working with the Hebrew text. me'ayin is always a question, everywhere else it occurs in the OT ("from whence?").

Likewise in the last word of Proverbs 29:18a "Where there is no vision the people perish", the KJV likewise follows the Vulgate (dissipabitur = destroyed; Geneva Bible: "decay") in its translation of the Niphal of para', which actually means "to unbind (hair), to let loose, run unrestrained). Hence Luther's accurate and vivid "das Volk wird Wild und Wust". I can find no other ancient or modern translation that agrees with KJV in English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish or Italian (I'd be happy to be corrected, if I missed something). And while we're at it, hazon, vision, specifically means a prophetic vision, not a generic "vision for evangelism" or similar modern parlance. That's not directly the KJV's fault, but it does make the ESV's translation "Where there is no prophetic vision, the people cast off restraint" significantly clearer.

As far as your anecdotal knowledge of current standards of Greek tuition, your experience is your experience. I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences. Perhaps you should advise your friends to study at Westminster, where it is taught more adequately. And there is no direct correlation between the average seminary Greek student and the competence of those who engage in the Bible translation process.
I appreciate your response. As to your comments on the supposed errors in the KJV, I could not answer to that or even give your beliefs are fair examination, seeing I do not have the adequate skills in the biblical languages. I could address these to my local pastor for his opinions however, thank you.

I wouldn't call the resources I shared purely anecdotal. These same methods are the methods used in research methods for medical fields and the like, in government research papers in relation to anthropology and health; you have the same test put forth between 10-100 subjects, and see what the outcomes are. You could say it's anecdotal to the men tested sure, but in that study, the men were Greek professors. I think the reason many know not Greek as well as other languages, is due to us not treating it like any other language. (what I had mentioned earlier I'm regards to a hyper-focus on parsing and computer tools, instead of simple dialogue in the language to start with, and basic vocabulary). I cannot speak in regards to the intricacies of Greek, but the methodology thereof appears to be flawed. You can dismiss the resources as anecdotal if you'd like, but I don't find them anecdotal personally. Our local congregation doesn't really recommend seminary much anymore, but local shepherding of the flock. My points earlier were not specifically in regards to Bible translators, but further, encompassing all Greek 'scholars' and professors.

Your input is appreciated, although I haven't seen anything that would make me question my views. Enjoy the rest of your Sabbath!

It is a perfectly accurate translation
Your grand sweeping pronouncements come across as someone who is merely taking someone else’s word for it.

Let me get this straight.

The KJV is perfect.

Modern linguistic studies are essentially garbage.

The KJV translators could speak fluent Hebrew and Koine Greek, while today’s scholars are using Strong’s numbers for word studies.

Did I miss anything?

A question for those who read the KJV.

Do you do so because you believe it is a superior translation or is it out of tradition/I was raised on the KJV?

1. It is excellent literature.
2. It sounds different than spoken English.
3. It is dependable (not perfect) and will be around long after other versions have been 'updated' or replaced.
4. It is the translation used by most theologians I read (Puritans).
5. I find it easier to memorize.
6. It is the most *read* (not necessarily purchased) Bible today.
7. It shaped the English language, not the other way around.
8. It distinguishes between first and second person which modern translations simply cannot do.
9. It is the true English Standard until the English speaking Church decides on another one.

Oh...and it saved my life.

For those of you who prefer the ESV, why have you chosen it over the NASB?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I adopted it shortly after release. I can't say I made the change for the deepest of reasons, given that I was roughly 20 at the time. ;)

At the time, I was reading NASB for classes at my college and had heavily used NIV at church and my own reading in high school. I mainly opted for the ESV because I thought the style was a bit cleaner and smoother to read than NASB, while still not being as "dynamic equivalence" as the NIV. (For classes, I frequently had to read a whole book of the Bible in one go, so smoothness of style made a noticeable difference for me.) I admit to still largely using it because I like that middle ground approach and because nothing much has motivated me to change. That said, I am using NKJV a lot more in the past year, on account of that being what the pastor of our new church preaches from.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I adopted it shortly after release. I can't say I made the change for the deepest of reasons, given that I was roughly 20 at the time. ;)

At the time, I was reading NASB for classes at my college and had heavily used NIV at church and my own reading in high school. I mainly opted for the ESV because I thought the style was a bit cleaner and smoother to read than NASB, while still not being as "dynamic equivalence" as the NIV. (For classes, I frequently had to read a whole book of the Bible in one go, so smoothness of style made a noticeable difference for me.) I admit to still largely using it because I like that middle ground approach and because nothing much has motivated me to change. That said, I am using NKJV a lot more in the past year, on account of that being what the pastor of our new church preaches from.
Thank you.

There’s always a lot of factors involved. If you could do it all over again, would you make any changes?

Maybe. If I were looking at it fresh now, I'd probably be less idealistic about it all. As long as a translation is not too flexible with its translation method, it's easy to put a lot of stress on relatively small differences. NASB or NKJV or ESV or many others all provide a good starting point. I'd probably do what I did last year, which was ask @bookish_Basset to buy "the version the pastor's reading from" for my birthday. Then use other translations (as I currently do) as a way to find other nuances on the text or, by means of the different phrasing, break through the routine familiarity of a passage.

Maybe. If I were looking at it fresh now, I'd probably be less idealistic about it all. As long as a translation is not too flexible with its translation method, it's easy to put a lot of stress on relatively small differences. NASB or NKJV or ESV or many others all provide a good starting point. I'd probably do what I did last year, which was ask @bookish_Basset to buy "the version the pastor's reading from" for my birthday. Then use other translations (as I currently do) as a way to find other nuances on the text or, by means of the different phrasing, break through the routine familiarity of a passage.
That sounds very reasonable. What’s your everyday use Bible right now? I mean the actual physical Bible. Publisher, edition, etc.

This view of mine was primarily derived from Anderson's + my local pastors efforts in "Going Back to the Greek Documentary" filmed in 2019

I find this concerning. You would dismiss a faithful believing scholar, and then credit Anderson.
From someone that prefers TR translations, be careful. It is easy to become imbalanced. This is how we get the KJVO extremes.

As for the other reasons stated above being convinced of a TR position on textual methodology, and the reasons Tyler gave; True fact: no one will ever know half as much in regards to the biblical languages, as the men of renown who did the translational work. They spoke these languages in that timeframe as it were their mother tongues, and we think we understand biblical languages better than they, because we have BlueLetterBible and Strong's concordance. We live in the age of chronological snobbery, where we have the most access to information, but are the most ignorant.
You're operating under some misconceptions, brother. The average pastor in the 1600s certainly would have known more Greek than the average pastor now, due to the emphasis on classical languages in education in general back then. However, that doesn't mean that today's Greek experts know less about Greek than Greek experts then. Also, understanding of Hebrew has definitely advanced. It was very rare in the 1600s for a Christian to be competent to teach Hebrew--most hired a Jewish Rabbi to tutor them.

The KJV translators were great scholars, and did a wonderful job, but it's false to say that there aren't competent scholars today.

We don't want to make bad arguments for a good thing.

My church's primary translation for preaching and study is the CSB. I really don't have much familiarity with it and only recently started adding it to my group of default translations when comparing passages in BibleGateway.

While I can follow along at church with my NKJV or KJV just fine, I've realized recently my young children find the different readings a bit distracting. I think there is value in using the same translation as the rest of the church for worship and study -- particularly for children who are still developing a foundation to build upon.

I'll probably end up purchasing a pair of CSB Bibles for my children in the near future. If anyone has any recommendations please do let me know.

Have a joyful day everyone!!

That sounds very reasonable. What’s your everyday use Bible right now? I mean the actual physical Bible. Publisher, edition, etc.
Two main ones: NKJV Single-Column Reference Bible, Thomas Nelson, 2018. As the name implies, single column of text per page instead of two, but has all the standard cross-reference notes.

ESV Single Column Legacy Edition, Crossway. Also single-column, but larger pages and a nice margin area.

The common thread for my choice of each edition: I've become more persnickety about page layout preferences, even as I've become less so about translations. :rofl: Basically it comes down to "take my brain as little effort as possible to find and follow the text." Double column means the eye has to move around a lot more, and one-verse-per-line is in my opinion only useful if doing close analysis and not trying to read a larger passage. Single column, especially if it has decent line spacing and reasonable margins, is very comfortable to read.

Of course if I know I'm going to be reading aloud to a group, I print the passage out, large font, triple-spaced, ideally in landscape layout. That way it takes heroic effort to lose my place while reading. I learned that trick years ago when working at a summer camp.

NKJV Single-Column Reference Bible, Thomas Nelson, 2018. As the name implies, single column of text per page instead of two, but has all the standard cross-reference notes.

This one is my current favorite to read from. Just an amazing layout and in the brown goatskin it's a real beauty. A real premium edition at a somewhat affordable price. Love this one.

I switched from the NKJV to the NASB when we started attending our current church several years ago (as they use the NASB), but I find it a rather "woody" translation that flows off the tongue like coarse sandpaper. :doh:I tried the ESV shortly thereafter and found it readable, poetic, and still easy enough to use in family devotions with my children.

I still regularly cross-reference the NKJV and the NASB in my personal study, but have heard some concerning things about the updates coming to the NASB 2020 update. I guess time will tell.

I just looked these passages up out of curiosity. Interestingly, the KJV translators offer alternate translations in the margins in both instances. For Ps 122:1, the marginal note reads, "Or, Shall I lift up mine eyes to the hills? Whence should my help come?"

For Prov 29:18, they offer "is made naked" in the place of "perish."

I just looked these passages up out of curiosity. Interestingly, the KJV translators offer alternate translations in the margins in both instances. For Ps 122:1, the marginal note reads, "Or, Shall I lift up mine eyes to the hills? Whence should my help come?"

For Prov 29:18, they offer "is made naked" in the place of "perish."

Clearly the KJV translators knew the alternative translations were legitimate translations (in terms of the words on the page) but also understood that there was a more appropriate translation, more faithful to these particular instances, which is what they included in the text. They were very godly and learned men who knew what they were doing.

Clearly the KJV translators knew the alternative translations were legitimate translations (in terms of the words on the page) but also understood that there was a more appropriate translation, more faithful to these particular instances, which is what they included in the text. They were very godly and learned men who knew what they were doing.
To be sure they were, but it's also entirely possible that they were divided in their opinions at times and put both forward because of a lack of clarity. I think that's especially true when they put variant readings of the Greek or Hebrew in the margins.

To be sure they were, but it's also entirely possible that they were divided in their opinions at times and put both forward because of a lack of clarity. I think that's especially true when they put variant readings of the Greek or Hebrew in the margins.

Certainly but I think we would want to say that the translation they included in the body of the text is what was considered the preferred translation. I wouldn't want to say the translators considered both renderings "equally valid". I think they did make a choice but because it was, perhaps, a particularly difficult or unclear passage they put an alternative in the margin. You see a lot of examples of this in Job which, so I hear, has some particularly difficult passages from a translation (and interpretation) point of view.

Certainly but I think we would want to say that the translation they included in the body of the text is what was considered the preferred translation. I wouldn't want to say the translators considered both renderings "equally valid". I think they did make a choice but because it was, perhaps, a particularly difficult or unclear passage they put an alternative in the margin. You see a lot of examples of this in Job which, so I hear, has some particularly difficult passages from a translation (and interpretation) point of view.

Some of the margin variants from the 1611 edition ended up in the main translation in the 1769 edition.

The notes are very interesting. I've been studying them very closely over the last few months. I think I can say the following with some confidence:

1. We'll never know why the choice was made to put one reading in the body and one in the margin in each and every case.

2. Usually, the one in the body would have been the generally preferred one by the translators, but there may have been times that they were so divided that they simply had to settle.

3. Sometimes the note simply shows an aspect of the original that could be missed in the body (and vice versa).

4. Sometimes, the translation in the margin simply does not agree with the body, in which case it is a truly alternative translation, and not merely an expansion of the body.

5. Sometimes the note references a textual variant in the original language, showing that the translators were to some degree undecided on the correct reading. This goes beyond the question of translation and into textual criticism.

6. Sometimes the notes merely give a literal translation that wouldn't flow so well in the main body of the text.

My understanding, Tyler and others, is that the variant readings in the KJV margins (or later incorporated into the body of the text) all came from within the manuscripts recognized as the received text. Would that be an accurate way of putting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back