Bible study or teaching on Kings and Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyB

Puritan Board Freshman
Any good teachings on the book of kings and chronicles? I want to really grasp the story going on and not just read through it. Preferably a video.

Ashley, I would recommend going to Covenant Theological Seminary's website, click on Resources, then Free Courses. You'll have to sign up for a free account, but it truly is free. Then search for the class Old Testament History, by V. Phillips Long. Another excellent course from there is Biblical Theology by Gerard Van Groningen. They might not be videos but audios only, but there isn't much in the way of good video on those four books. There are a lot of other courses there I would NOT recommend, but those two I would.

One tidbit I will throw in for free is from Ray Dillard. What is the difference between Kings and Chronicles? Kings was written in the exile, and was written to answer the question King Theoden asks, "How did it come to this?" Chronicles was written after the exile, and was written to answer a very different question, "Are we still the covenant people of God?" The author of Chronicles assumes you already know what's in Samuel-Kings, but tends to be much more focused on the positive things (doesn't recount David's sin, or Solomon's decline, etc.), thus proving the continuity even through the exile. Samuel-Kings is much more focused on the negative.

I agree that Davis is gem!

For what its worth, I have been preaching through 1 and 2 Kings since January of 2021. They are available on SermonAudio.

Ashley, I would recommend going to Covenant Theological Seminary's website, click on Resources, then Free Courses. You'll have to sign up for a free account, but it truly is free. Then search for the class Old Testament History, by V. Phillips Long. Another excellent course from there is Biblical Theology by Gerard Van Groningen. They might not be videos but audios only, but there isn't much in the way of good video on those four books. There are a lot of other courses there I would NOT recommend, but those two I would.

One tidbit I will throw in for free is from Ray Dillard. What is the difference between Kings and Chronicles? Kings was written in the exile, and was written to answer the question King Theoden asks, "How did it come to this?" Chronicles was written after the exile, and was written to answer a very different question, "Are we still the covenant people of God?" The author of Chronicles assumes you already know what's in Samuel-Kings, but tends to be much more focused on the positive things (doesn't recount David's sin, or Solomon's decline, etc.), thus proving the continuity even through the exile. Samuel-Kings is much more focused on the negative.
Thank you! :)

Is Van Groningen's Creation to Consummation good?

Is Van Groningen's Creation to Consummation good?
I don't have it, so I can't comment. I've listened to his excellent lectures, and I have his Messianic Revelation in the Old Testament, which is outstanding. He is a Dutch confessional biblical-theologian in the mold of Vos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back