Bible study/ book recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedBaptist

Puritan Board Freshman
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like a good place to start. I am looking for a book/ bible study I can walk through with an unbeliever/ someone who is unsure of their salvation. Any recommendations?

John MacArthur's "How To Study The Bible" begins with assurances of the veracity of Scripture and the of the faith. In addition, since the first thing we would want an unbeliever to do is read the Bible, this book will give him a good plan to pursue that course. I still use a modified method based on that found in this book for my personal study.

How to Study the Bible: John F MacArthur: 9780802453037: Amazon.com: Books

BTW, I'd call you by your name but I don't know it. :pilgrim: here are the Signature Requirements for TPB ;

vBulletin FAQ

I used Tim McCracken's "God's Message to You" with a Roman Catholic co-worker of mine. I used it mainly as a springboard than word-for-word but he does a good job of showing God's covenant and the promise of Christ all throughout Scripture. A good introduction for someone not familiar with the Bible.

Note: I do think Tim's idea of doing this in six lessons is extremely optimistic!

I also liked Charles Hodge's "The Way of Life" for just basic Christian living and doctrine. Very similar is Sinclair Ferguson's "The Christian Life".

What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert is an excellent, little book that introduces the gospel quite well. It's easy to understand but it's also a solid presentation. I've shared it with different people on a few occasions.

I appreciate all the quick replies, the person I'm working with seems to have a good understanding of the gospel and the process of salvation, but I asked for her testimony and she said she didn't know and I asked her the first time she called out to God and she said she couldn't remember she has done it so many times.

I know when I was first saved, I opened up John by MacArthurs suggestion in one of his radio shows. Helped tremendously.
Since that, I gave two books to a friend of mine who stated they were saved, both charasmatic chaos, and the gospel according to Jesus. Both by John MacArthur. They still have the books, but not entirely sure if they helped. I have since lost touch with a lot of people.

Also I recommend getting John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" into their hands quickly if they are saved and maybe even if they aren't. Also for assurance Paul Washer's sermon "shocking youth message" is hard hitting and not so much encouraging as it is challenging especially if they are professing Christians with no fruit same with his Sermon on the holiness of God, but some evidential apologetics might be encouraging if they actually are saved such as "More than a carpenter" by Josh McDowell. If they arent saved go to proofthatgodexists.org and walk them through the questions and also walk them through the 10 commandments and show them how they fall short of God's law then get into the gospels. I still say dive into John unless they are technical thinkers then Matthew might be a better start. If they are short attention span action movie types Mark's gospel might be the best. And if they are Muslim Luke is definitely the best, or Galatians. You can't really beat opening up the Word of God and just taking a walk through it with them, even if you guys only end up reading it and not teaching from it or discussing it, reading it is being faithful to God and faith comes through hearing the Word of God, though discussion is great too!

Is she unsure of her salvation, or are you? It sounds like you are looking for one defining moment, whereas God's work in some people's lives can be quite gradual or could be experienced as never having known a time apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back