Bible Books Overview for Newer Believers

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hey folks,

Background: My wife goes to a Bible study at a drifting Evangelical church. Well, I wouldn't call it a church because I don't believe it qualifies, but the Bible study is actually, by God's grace, decent. She used to attend the church years ago before their drifting became as apparent. However, she enjoys this Bible study because it is a way for her to connect with old friends and even help guide other ladies younger in the faith towards biblical truth.

The New Believer: The lady whom I'm wanting to help my wife guide has a background of troubled relationships, atheism, grievous past sin and resulting guilt, and Scriptures twisted and used against her by abusive authority figures. She has been at this "church" (link above) and hasn't actually learned hardly anything; this includes basic differences between all are welcomed to church and all are welcomed to the church but they must be transformed! Pray for her!

The New Believer's Desire: This young lady wants to know the Bible. She wants to have an overview of each book of the Bible.

The Question: Please, no text criticism (see Perg's thread) nor Dispensationalism! That's all I have from my introductory classes from Moody, and I don't want to wade through steering her away from some of the issues. Are their NT/OT overviews per book that are entry-level? Would a study Bible be a choice for this? I would hands-down take the notes from the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, but unfortunately, she will barely do any translation besides The Message (I know, I know, it isn't a translation). That'll be adjusted and she is willing to try other things, but the Authorized Version is a big jump (one I would ultimately like to see her make).

Well you could email RHB and request permission to take their book introductions and change any verses mentioned to NIV or something like that. I'm sure if you explained the situation they'd more than willing to help. Ligonier has a lot of good stuff for less theological believers trying to learn more. I'd look around on their site.

Well you could email RHB and request permission to take their book introductions and change any verses mentioned to NIV or something like that. I'm sure if you explained the situation they'd more than willing to help. Ligonier has a lot of good stuff for less theological believers trying to learn more. I'd look around on their site.
I just got off the phone with RHB, and they said they can't give out those articles and introductions. However, they do have published versions of the family study guide and how to live the Christian life. I'll check out Ligonier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back