Best resources for non-ep & instrumental views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
For those of you who are in favour of the non-exclusive psalmody view and/or the use of instruments in worship, I would request that you please share with me the resources that, in your opinion, best defend these positions. Thank you.

*For my a cappella, ep brothers: I have read and am reading several resources for 'your' side of things, so please do not think you are being 'left out'.
And certainly if are you so inclined to share with me by PM a resource that you find helpful and/or convicting you are welcome to do so.*

If you visit:

Articles Online | Exclusive Psalmody

you will find articles contrary to the EP and/or RPW position. The author of the website also includes responses to such articles from the EP viewpoint. I hope this gives you material from the non-EP side such that you don't still feel you are getting an EP bias. Hopefully I am not "violating" what you were asking for, because I understand what you desire: to get the best of both sides.

Tim:

No, that is fine. I did not forbid anyone of a different persuasion from posting anything. I just want to focus on the other side of the argue for the time being, particularly for what they perceive to be the best arguments for their position.

Last edited:
Some of the standard works of the past would be the psalmody conference volumes of the United Presbyterians:
John McNaugher, The Psalms in Worship (Pittsburgh: United Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1907; rpt. SWRB).
Psalm-singers' Conference. Psalm-Singers' Conference, Held in the Y.M.C.A. Hall, Wellington Place, Belfast, on the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th August, 1902. Belfast: Fountain Printing Works, 1905.
On musical instruments for the American side it would be Girardeau's work, Scottish side I've seen James Glasgow's Heart and Voice.
None are perfect works certainly. The best resource would be Bushell's Songs of Zion; he has 16 page bibliography in the back.

1 Chronicles 15:16
David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their fellow Levites as musicians to make a joyful sound with musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.

1 Chronicles 23:5
Four thousand are to be gatekeepers and four thousand are to praise the LORD with the musical instruments I have provided for that purpose.”

2 Chronicles 5:13
The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, the singers raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: “He is good; his love endures forever.” Then the temple of the LORD was filled with the cloud,

2 Chronicles 7:6
The priests took their positions, as did the Levites with the LORD’s musical instruments, which King David had made for praising the LORD and which were used when he gave thanks, saying, “His love endures forever.” Opposite the Levites, the priests blew their trumpets, and all the Israelites were standing.

Sarah:

Perhaps I should have been clearer as to what I was referring to when I used the word "resources", but what I really want are references to books, articles etc. that defend the position of using instruments and singing uninspired songs in worship.

Here's some of the resources that have been most helpful to me in thinking through the issue of exclusive psalmody and instruments in worship:

1) Worship: From Genesis to Revelation by Douglas Comin
2) Old Light on New Worship: Musical Instruments and the Worship of God, a Theological, Historical, and Psychological Study by John Price, and
3) Report of the Committee on Song in the Public Worship of God to the Thirteenth General Assembly by John Murray and William Young

The first item is a 600+ page book that systematically goes through every book of Scripture with regard to the regulative principle of worship. If you're interested in obtaining the book, let me know and I'll send you the details -- it's available but a little hard to find.

Let me know if you want more detail on any of these resources.

Soli Deo gloria

I don't wish to abuse my posting privileges here but I will ask, one more time, that brothers and sisters share with me the resources that, in your opinion, best defend the non-ep and/or instrumental position.

Daniel,

This is the selection of anti-EP articles (mentioned by Tim above) on the website Articles Online | Exclusive Psalmody, sorry I could not carry over the links here for some reason. Since you are investigating the subject, perhaps getting the responses will be helpful. I listed these articles I disagree with because I wanted the responses to be in the context of the articles they were written against. There are a number of articles that have not received a response, as you will see

Articles or Books opposing Exclusive Psalmody or the RPW (with critical response from EPers)
Exclusive Psalmody by Gary Crampton (Against EP)
Response to Crampton by Richard Bacon (For EP)
"All I Really Need to Know About Worship...I Don't Learn from the Regulative Principle" Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 by Steve Schlissel (Against EP)
Response to Schlissel by Brian Schwertley (For EP), also here
Response to Schlissel by GI Williamson (For EP)
Response to Schlissel by M Shand (For EP)
Psalter - the Only Hymnal (Against EP) by Iain Murray
Response to Murray by John W. Keddie (For EP)
Response to Murray by Roy Mohon (For EP)
Response to Murray by H. Lindsay Williams (For EP) and here
Response to Murray by Rowland Ward (For EP)
Response to Murray by Malcolm H. Watts (For EP), published by the James Begg Society found here
Exclusive Psalmody or New Covenant Hymnody by Lee Irons (Against EP)
Response to Irons by...
The Regulative Principle and Singing in Worship by Stephen Pribble (Against EP)
Response to Pribble by...
A Fresh Look at the Regulative Principle by John Frame (Against RPW and EP)
Response to Frame by..
Related: A Book Review by Joey Pipa (For RPW) of the book Worship in Spirit and Truth by John Frame (Against RPW)
Some Questions About the Regulative Principle by John Frame (Against RPW and EP)
Response to Frame by...
An Examination of Exclusive Psalmody by Robert Morey (Against EP)
Response to Morey by...
Issue and Interchange: Does Scripture Permit the Use of Hymns Other Than the Psalms in Worship? [Hymns allowed position] By Dr. Greg Bahnsen, (The EP position has a statement of defense but is objected in the final statement.)

When I was investigating the issue, I found some of the posts on the acapella forum here by users fredtgreco and (on the rare occasion when he posted on it) Contra_Mundum to generally be thought provoking for the non-EP side of things. I'm sure there are other old threads that may contain useful info one way or the other on that forum. I also remember finding an old discussion on the r_f_w yahoo list between an EPer and non-EPer that had some neat exegesis going on. I don't really have time to link to anything specific though. A pastor I know also wrote an historical article "Luther and Calvin on Music and Worship" (or something to that effect) that concluded against EP. I know Mr. Ken Gentry has some lectures on the subject against EP. It might also be worth looking into the occasional propnent of Inspired Songs, though I cannot think of a specific resource for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back