Best philosophical treatment of free will

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatechumenPatrick

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all, I have been searching the forums for some resources on the best books from a Reformed worldview on determinism and free will. I am looking for advanced philosophical works, like Edwards' Freedom of the Will. Can anyone recommend the best books or even scholarly articles arguing for or defending the Reformed view on free will, determinism, compatibilism, and the like, in a primarily philosophical way?
(PS: Anyone know of a good Reformed response to Plantinga's Free Will defense to the problem of evil, either online or published? I appreciate all of your help, thanks!)

Thanks for the replies. I have read Clark's "God and Evil"--three times now, and have found it extremely helpful. Actually, that book by Clark, along with Edwards', formed the backbone of my own response to the problem of evil and the free will defense in a paper I wrote last winter.
I haven't read Clark's "Predestination" yet (Pink's "Sovereignty of God" is higher on my list at the moment) but I am considering ordering it from my school library pretty soon.
Caleb, the two books you linked to look great. Fischer's book looks particularly informative, though I have not heard of him before. Is he Reformed or at all Christian? The Oxford Handbook looks decent, but I wonder how balanced it is and if I would be better off sticking with primary texts...

I don't think you will find anything better than Turretin, Calvin and Edwards. If you can digest them, you will have the best foundation you could muster up.

Frame's The Doctrine of God is actually pretty good in this regard. He takes on libertine free will and open theism among other things. It's a handy little reference.

Well you have compatibilist and libertarian types of free will. Believing in predestination and the like, we are a kind of compatibilists. The oxford book (although I haven't read it) most likely represents both sides well. Thing about it is, you will have a lot of atheists who are compatibilist. I don't know if Fischer is a Christian or not. Here is a good read by Paul Manata on Contemporary Compatibilism: http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2007/04/contemporary-compatibilism.html

Thanks for all the advice. I forgot how much great material Bahnsen has, both in written form and available online. When it comes to Reformed philosophy, there is no better place to start in my opinion

One of my favorite books that deals with this doctrine is Loraine Boettner's book Predestination. THere is a good section in that book on free will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back