Best explanation of TULIP for non-Reformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totorodaisuki

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I'm looking for a good book on the 5 points of Calvinism (TULIP) which I can give to my Arminian father. I don't want something that is too contentious. It should carefully explain the 5 points, give Scripture references for each topic, and spend some time explaining the basics of Reformed theology. My father is fluent in biblical Hebrew and Greek and has been regenerated since 1972. He's very well-read regarding biblical doctrine, except for Reformed theology. Thanks!

This looks excellent! Thanks.

I’m not a big fan of equating TULIP with “Reformed”. Beeke’s book is indeed a nice entry-level intro to Calvinism broadly considered. But if I wanted to know “What is Reformed theology specifically?” I would start with the Three Forms of Unity and the Westminster Standards. If one wants to know about Arminianism v. Reformed from a historic Reformed perspective, Robert Godfrey’s Saving the Reformation is good.

I recommend Robert Godfrey's Saving the Reformation. It's a phenomenal work. It's nothing new or original; but Dr Godfrey's commentary, or rather comments, are concise and to the point. It is a modern translation of the Canons of Dordt, done by Dr Godfrey himself.

His historical introduction to the Synod of Dort, and his examination of Arminius is scholarly, yet accessible to the lay-person. It was THE work which introduced me to the confessional nature of Reformed theology.

I steer away from the TULIP-type works because Dordt is just so much better at expounding and answering objections to what is now know as the five points. I cannot recommend Dr Godfrey's work highly enough.

I recommend Robert Godfrey's Saving the Reformation. It's a phenomenal work. It's nothing new or original; but Dr Godfrey's commentary, or rather comments, are concise and to the point. It is a modern translation of the Canons of Dordt, done by Dr Godfrey himself.

His historical introduction to the Synod of Dort, and his examination of Arminius is scholarly, yet accessible to the lay-person. It was THE work which introduced me to the confessional nature of Reformed theology.

I steer away from the TULIP-type works because Dordt is just so much better at expounding and answering objections to what is now know as the five points. I cannot recommend Dr Godfrey's work highly enough.
Where can I find this book? I searched Ligonier's bookstore and couldn't find it. Thank you.

Thanks!

Not a book recommendation, but I'll say that my sticking point on TULIP had always been the unfortunate wording "limited atonement." I just assumed it was claiming that Christ was finite or that His sacrifice was otherwise inadequate or incapable to save any more people than He did. When I heard it rephrased as "particular redemption" and explained in the context of John 6, that's what opened the floodgates for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back