Best Edition of Pilgrim's Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
I'm looking to buy a nice edition of the Pilgrim's Progress for my assistant pastor's daughter, who will be 8 soon. She's of the maturity that she would recognize and take care of a nice book.

I've noticed that Banner of Truth has a clothbound edition and and Christian Focus Publications also has a hardbound, both with substantial illustrations fitting for the book. Are these the best editions (outside of some high-end leather editions), and which edition would be the best to get for this intent?

Hmm, I'm wondering if it's a real cloth-bound, or the hard, fake stuff that's called "cloth-bound", because the publisher doesn't know what else to call it.

The only copy I own is the Barnes & Noble edition, and I love it!

Serious question: has anyone read this book with small children? I read books to my children every night and wanted to know if this might be a good one to add to the list now or wait for a few more years to read to them.

Here are a couple of options from Vision Forum

72655_l.jpg

29870_l.jpg

Serious question: has anyone read this book with small children? I read books to my children every night and wanted to know if this might be a good one to add to the list now or wait for a few more years to read to them.

I would wait a few years on it. In the A Beka literature series, it is intended for high school. There are quite a few theological discussions in the original edition (which all the dumbed-down versions omit). I highly recommend the Banner of Truth stand-alone edition or Bunyan's three volume works edition (also by Banner of Truth). My best estimate is that, with a bit of work, an intelligent 8-10 year old would understand it. Bunyan is by no means an inherently difficult Puritan like, say, Owen or Goodwin.

My son is ten. We are going through Pilgrim's Progress now. It is slow going, but very beneficial. You will have to stop often and explain much..but if your kids are like mine, they will benefit greatly from the discussion.

Dan,

Have you tried the Banner of Truth Pilgrim Progress Edition?

Blessing

No, but it sounds like I might want to. The B&N edition is unabridged and contains lots of scripture in the side-columns as well as footnotes with subtle yet relevant commentary. Is that what the BoT has, or is there something I'm missing out on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back