Best Devotional for audio recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedman

Puritan Board Freshman
I like to make audio recordings of books for people. There are a few people in New York who are blind who are particularly interested in getting more of my recordings. I am interested in starting a devotional reading but I can't decide which one.

What is your recommendation of a devotional book not necessarily for myself, but more for an online listening audience.

By the way, it must be either public domain, or no copyright restrictions, or older than 100 years so that there is no copyright limits on it.

Spurgeon. Not everything that works well in print also sounds good when read aloud, but Spurgeon always seems to.

Calvin's sermons would be my first choice. They're meaty and convicting and also so graceful!

The above are all good suggestions. I believe Ryle's Expository Thoughts would be particularly good. It was designed in part for use in family worship.

I have a dramatized version of the Pilgrims Progress that is quite engaging. By dramatized I mean that different people read the parts of the various characters, etc. and occasionally there would be sound effects like birds chirping, maybe the prison door being closed, etc. I'm not sure how well it would come across with only one reader. But I do know a radio ministry that had a lengthy series in which the owner read relatively short portions (or scenes) of Pilgrims Progress and then expounded upon it. Some of Bunyan's other works were in a dialogue format as well.

Make sure the narration quality is good; there are many christian audio recordings, but many are far inferior to our secular counter-parts.

All of this was very helpful. I think I will look at both the expository thoughts and the JR Miller.
Thank you all very much.

I would love to have an audio recording of The Doctrine of Justification by James Buchanan! Although this is not 'devotional' material. It would be fantastic to have as a recording.

As far as devotional material I would vote for Spurgeon's Material.
I believe copyright is expired in the US prior to 1923 due to the Sonny Bono Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back