Best Commentaries on the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
What are the best commentaries on the Psalms?

Some possible nominations include:

John Calvin

Henry Ainsworth

Charles Spurgeon

J.A. Alexander

William Binnie

Andrew Bonar

Martin Luther

Matthew Henry

Matthew Poole

Meric Casaubon (Westminster Annotations)

David Dickson -- of whom Spurgeon says:

A rich volume, dropping fatness. Invaluable to the preacher. Having read and re-read it, we can speak of its holy savor and suggestiveness. We commend it with much fervor.

For a modern non-critical commentary I vote for Derek Kidner - Tyndale OTC

The brevity of this little gem makes it useful for the student or pastor. My copy gets used on a regular basis. (Note this is 2 vol work 1-72, 72-150)

Plumer is a massive volume and is pretty good at citing many others; wrong on musical instruments in worship though.;) It is sadly out of print and even the used Banner reprint copies go for a lot now.

I second Treasury of David--maybe because it's the only one I've spent much time in, but more likely because it's Spurgeon + a plethora of Spurgeon-like citations...

I enjoyed VanGemeren section on the Psalms in Vol. 5 of the Expositor's Commentary. While the original editor (Frank Gaebelein) was dispensational as are many of the OT prophetic commentators, there are some very good contributions in this set. (D.A. Carson's portion on Matthew being a highly regarded commentary.)

One I thought I would like, but was disappointed in, is John Mason Neale's Commentary on the Psalms.

Too much commentary on the commentary of the Fathers and not enough wrestling with the text

Alexander Maclaren's (1826-1910) three volumes on the Psalms in the original Expositor's Bible series (published in 1893-1894) are excellent - and extremely hard to find. I picked up a complete set a couple of years ago, marveling at the serendipty of it all!

His separate volume on the Psalms in his massive Expositions of Holy Scripture series (32 volumes, published 1904-1910) is also excellent; it, as is that whole series, is made up of lengthy excerpts from his sermons. It also is hard to find.

Considering his 57 consecutive years of pastoral ministry (1846-1903), Maclaren had a lot of sermon material to use to construct those 32 volumes! All are out of print, natch. (The last time they were in print was when Baker reprinted them some 30 years ago.)

I wonder why Maclaren isn't better known today? In his own day, in a time when preachers would have their weekly sermons printed up for sale, only Spurgeon sold better than Maclaren.

I'm currently reading Pierson, Gouge & Smith on individual psalms. Very good!

Thomas Pierson on Psalms 27, 84, 85 and 87

William Gouge on Psalm 116

Samuel Smith on Psalm 1

Van Gemeren is, indeed, highly recommended.

The tripartite series on the Psalter by Allen, Craigie, and Tate in the Word Biblical Commentary Series have also been well recommended; especially the first volume by Craigie, which covers the introductory material and first fifty psalms. I'm normally not a huge fan of WBC, but several of my profs have given Craigie's volume pretty high compliments. Although, as Longman suggests in his evaluation of OT commentaries, one should read these in conjunction with both Kiddner and Calvin for their theological insights.

Longman also gave his highest marks to a certain G. H. Wilson's commentary on the Psalms in the NIVAC (the NIV Application Commentary) series. I have not read it myself, but I have recently read two of their OT commentaries on the books of Ezekiel (Iain Duguid) and Daniel (Tremper Longman), and I have been much more impressed with this series so far than what I thought would be the case.

Top Recommended Commentaries on the Psalms

Commentaries on Psalms
Non-Technical Exegesis

Kidner, Derek. Psalms: An Introduction and Commentary. TOTC. Vol. 14. [2 vols. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973-1975]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [Anglican] (This is my personal favorite for quick help.)

Leupold, H. C. Exposition of the Psalms. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1969]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [American Lutheran]

VanGemeren, Willem A. "Psalms." Ed. Frank E. Gaebelein. EBC. Vol. 5. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1995.
Conservative.

Maclaren, Alexander. The Book of Psalms. Ed. William R. Nicoll. EB. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1956]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co, 1982.
Conservative. [English Baptist] Generally published in three volumes, sometimes found in two volumes.
Devotional exposition. (Maclaren's work is a classic. He writes with classic passion for the word of God.)

See also this edition: Maclaren, Alexander. The Psalms. MACLAREN. [2 vols. na.: na., na]. Reprint ed. Minneapolis, MN: Klock & Klock Christian Publishers, 1980.

Mays, James Luther. Psalms. Ed. Patrick D. Miller. Int. [ Louisville, KY: John Knox Press, 1994]. na.: na., na.
Liberal.

Gaebelein, A. C. The Book of Psalms. A Devotional and Prophetic Commentary. [ New York, NY: na., 1939]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. Premillennial, devotional studies.

Horne, George. A Commentary on the Book of Psalms. [ na.: na., na]. na.: na., na.
(I've seen this recommended a few times, but I've not yet had the chance to use it.)

Technical Exegesis
These are titles I've found to be recommeded, but haven't used them extensively.

Craigie, Peter C. Psalms 1–50. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 19. [ Waco, TX: Word Books, 1983]. na.: na., na.
Critical. [American Evangelical] Ugaritic background/shaping/style analysis.

Allen, Leslie C. Psalms 101–150. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 21. [ Waco, TX: Word Books, 1983]. 2nd ed. Dallas, TX: Word Books, 2002.
Critical. Ugaritic background/shaping/style analysis.

Tate, Marvin E. Psalms 51–100. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 20. [ Dallas, TX: Word Books, 1990]. na.: na., na.

Commentaries on Psalms (Sixteenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Calvin, John. Commentary on the Book of Psalms. Trans. James Anderson. CALVIN. Vols. 4-6. [ na.: na., 1557]. 3 vols. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 2003.
Conservative. [French Protestant Reformer] (Always rich in exposition.)

Commentaries on Psalms (Seventeenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Dickson, David. A Commentary on the Psalms. [ na.: na., 1655]. 2 vols. Reprint ed. Minneapolis, MN: Klock & Klock Christian Publishers, 1980.
Conservative. Devotional; Scottish Covenanter. (Rich exposition.)

Commentaries on Psalms (Nineteenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Alexander, J. A. Commentary on Psalms. [ Edinburgh: John Greig and Son, 1864]. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1991.
Conservative. Original title, "The Psalms Translated and Explained."

Spurgeon, C. H. The Treasury of David. [7 vols. New York, NY: Funk & Wagnalls, 1870-1885]. 3 vols. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1976.
Conservative. [English Baptist]

Kirkpatrick, A. F. The Book of Psalms. CBSC. [3 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1891]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1982.
Conservative. Sometimes appears in one volume, and sometimes in three volumes.

Technical Exegesis
Perowne, J. J. Stewart. The Book of Psalms: A New Translation with Introductions and Notes Explanatory and Critical. [2 vols. London: Bell & Son, 1876]. 2 vols. 6th ed. London: George Bell and Sons, 1886.
Conservative. [Anglican] Good translations, outlines, notes.

Delitzsch, F. J. Biblical Commentary on the Psalms. Trans. Francis Bolton. K&D. Vol. 5. [2 vols. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1871]. Reprint ed. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc, 1996.
Conservative—Critical. [German Lutheran]

Special Topics in Psalms

Bonar, Andrew A. Christ & His Church in the Book of Psalms: 150 Inspirational Studies. [ New York, NY: na., 1861]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [Scottish Free Presbyterian]

Lloyd-Jones, David Martyn. Faith Tried and Triumphant. [ na.: na., na]. IVF & Eerdmans, 1965.
Conservative. [Anglican Evangelical] Barber, "Warm, devotional meditations on Psalm 73." Originally published as Faith on Trial.

Commentaries on Psalms
Non-Technical Exegesis

Kidner, Derek. Psalms: An Introduction and Commentary. TOTC. Vol. 14. [2 vols. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973-1975]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [Anglican] (This is my personal favorite for quick help.)

Leupold, H. C. Exposition of the Psalms. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1969]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [American Lutheran]

VanGemeren, Willem A. "Psalms." Ed. Frank E. Gaebelein. EBC. Vol. 5. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1995.
Conservative.

Maclaren, Alexander. The Book of Psalms. Ed. William R. Nicoll. EB. [ Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1956]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co, 1982.
Conservative. [English Baptist] Generally published in three volumes, sometimes found in two volumes.
Devotional exposition. (Maclaren's work is a classic. He writes with classic passion for the word of God.)

See also this edition: Maclaren, Alexander. The Psalms. MACLAREN. [2 vols. na.: na., na]. Reprint ed. Minneapolis, MN: Klock & Klock Christian Publishers, 1980.

Mays, James Luther. Psalms. Ed. Patrick D. Miller. Int. [ Louisville, KY: John Knox Press, 1994]. na.: na., na.
Liberal.

Gaebelein, A. C. The Book of Psalms. A Devotional and Prophetic Commentary. [ New York, NY: na., 1939]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. Premillennial, devotional studies.

Horne, George. A Commentary on the Book of Psalms. [ na.: na., na]. na.: na., na.
(I've seen this recommended a few times, but I've not yet had the chance to use it.)

Technical Exegesis
These are titles I've found to be recommeded, but haven't used them extensively.

Craigie, Peter C. Psalms 1–50. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 19. [ Waco, TX: Word Books, 1983]. na.: na., na.
Critical. [American Evangelical] Ugaritic background/shaping/style analysis.

Allen, Leslie C. Psalms 101–150. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 21. [ Waco, TX: Word Books, 1983]. 2nd ed. Dallas, TX: Word Books, 2002.

Tate, Marvin E. Psalms 51–100. Ed. John D. W. Watts. WBC. Vol. 20. [ Dallas, TX: Word Books, 1990]. na.: na., na.

Commentaries on Psalms (Sixteenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Calvin, John. Commentary on the Book of Psalms. Trans. James Anderson. CALVIN. Vols. 4-6. [ na.: na., 1557]. 3 vols. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 2003.
Conservative. [French Protestant Reformer] (Always rich in exposition.)

Commentaries on Psalms (Seventeenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Dickson, David. A Commentary on the Psalms. [ na.: na., 1655]. 2 vols. Reprint ed. Minneapolis, MN: Klock & Klock Christian Publishers, 1980.
Conservative. Devotional; Scottish Covenanter. (Rich exposition.)

Commentaries on Psalms (Nineteenth Century)
Non-Technical Exegesis

Alexander, J. A. Commentary on Psalms. [ Edinburgh: John Greig and Son, 1864]. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1991.
Conservative. Original title, "The Psalms Translated and Explained."

Spurgeon, C. H. The Treasury of David. [7 vols. New York, NY: Funk & Wagnalls, 1870-1885]. 3 vols. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1976.
Conservative. [English Baptist]

Kirkpatrick, A. F. The Book of Psalms. CBSC. [3 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1891]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1982.

Technical Exegesis
Perowne, J. J. Stewart. The Book of Psalms: A New Translation with Introductions and Notes Explanatory and Critical. [2 vols. London: Bell & Son, 1876]. 2 vols. 6th ed. London: George Bell and Sons, 1886.
Conservative. [Anglican] Good translations, outlines, notes.

Delitzsch, F. J. Biblical Commentary on the Psalms. Trans. Francis Bolton. K&D. Vol. 5. [2 vols. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1871]. Reprint ed. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc, 1996.
Conservative—Critical. [German Lutheran]

Special Topics in Psalms

Bonar, Andrew A. Christ & His Church in the Book of Psalms: 150 Inspirational Studies. [ New York, NY: na., 1861]. na.: na., na.
Conservative. [Scottish Free Presbyterian]

Lloyd-Jones, David Martyn. Faith Tried and Triumphant. [ na.: na., na]. IVF & Eerdmans, 1965.
Conservative. [Anglican Evangelical] Barber, "Warm, devotional meditations on Psalm 73." Originally published as Faith on Trial.

Good list, but I don't think I would classify Lloyd-Jones as an Anglican. Westminster Chapel was/is(?) a Congregationalist congregation, and I think that Lloyd-Jones was, technically at least, a Presbyterian (according to his ordination? I could be wrong about this.). But I KNOW he wasn't an Anglican.

Richard,
Thanks for the note. I'm re-checking my work and I see that he was originally involved with the Welsh-Calvinistic Methodists. From there he went on to minister in the Church of England.
A controversy developed that lead to the Westminster Chapel leaving the Congregational Union and joining the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches.
I labeled him as an Anglican, which seems to be too broad of a label. He definitely was Evangelical, Calvinistic and Independent.

Should I relabel him as an Independent Evangelical? Wikipedia labels him a Protestant Christian. That's way too broad.

Mike Horton and the WHI interviewed a guy who was in the process of completing a work on Christ in the Psalms. If I remember right, the work was scheduled to be finalized and released by now. At the time of the interview he was still uncertain as to the actual title the book will have. I have wondered if that work ever came out yet. I will have to dig up the WHI broadcast and see if I can find it and get a name to look up.

Richard,
Thanks for the note. I'm re-checking my work and I see that he was originally involved with the Welsh-Calvinistic Methodists. From there he went on to minister in the Church of England.
A controversy developed that lead to the Westminster Chapel leaving the Congregational Union and joining the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches.
I labeled him as an Anglican, which seems to be too broad of a label. He definitely was Evangelical, Calvinistic and Independent.

Should I relabel him as an Independent Evangelical? Wikipedia labels him a Protestant Christian. That's way too broad.

I'm almost positive that Lloyd-Jones was never an Anglican.

The Welsh-Calvinistic Methodists were (and are) Methodists in the Calvinistic Whitefieldian Methodist sense, not Arminians in the Wesleyan Methodist sense. So, I would label Lloyd-Jones as Calvinistic Congregationalist. That's close enough, I guess.

I'm almost positive that Lloyd-Jones was never an Anglican.

The Welsh-Calvinistic Methodists were (and are) Methodists in the Calvinistic Whitefieldian Methodist sense, not Arminians in the Wesleyan Methodist sense. So, I would label Lloyd-Jones as Calvinistic Congregationalist. That's close enough, I guess.

Hey, that sounds good. I see now, from further reading and re-reading, where I went wrong. Thanks for your help.

Your comment: Kirkpatrick, A. F. The Book of Psalms. CBSC. [3 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1891]. Reprint ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1982.

Here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about Kirkpatrick:

Alexander Francis Kirkpatrick was born in Lewes, England, on Monday, June 25, 1849 and died in Bournemouth, England on January 22, 1940, at the age of 90.

His commentary on the Psalms was originally published in 3 volumes (psalms 1-41 in 1890; psalms 42-89 in 1895; psalms 43-150 in 1901); 1 volume edition in 1902.

And here are the various positions he held during most of these years:

Regius Professor of Hebrew, Cambridge University (1882-1903)
Member of the Council of the Senate of Cambridge University (1892-1896;
1899-1900)
Warburtonian Lecturer, Lincoln's Inn (1886-1890)
Master of Selwyn College, Cambridge University (1898-1907)
Canon of Ely (1882-1903)
Lady Margaret Preacher (1893)
Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Rochester (1890-1895)
Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Winchester (1890; 1895-1903)
General Editor for the Old Testament and the Apocrypha, Cambridge Bible
for Schools and Colleges (1892-1929)

Plus, he had time to write a 3-volume commentary on the Book of Psalms

In other words, the dude was one busy Anglican...

One more plug for a commentary mentioned by VH above, and one I found helpful was J.A. Alexander's commentary on the psalms. Brief, insightful, and especially good at pointing out Hebrew subtleties that may be helpful.

Mike Horton and the WHI interviewed a guy who was in the process of completing a work on Christ in the Psalms. If I remember right, the work was scheduled to be finalized and released by now. At the time of the interview he was still uncertain as to the actual title the book will have. I have wondered if that work ever came out yet. I will have to dig up the WHI broadcast and see if I can find it and get a name to look up.

I think that was Edmund Clowney, Chris. He has since gone to glory. Hopefully he finished that work. I know he has a book "Preaching Christ in all of Scripture." Here are his books available at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back