Best book on how to preach Old Testament narratives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just to add on, books that not only draw out Christ out of the OT but also the technical ways to handle preaching a narrative in an orderly way

just to add on, books that not only draw out Christ out of the OT but also the technical ways to handle preaching a narrative in an orderly way

John, with Murray's book, the whole book isn't about this but there is a chapter devoted to it that was quite good.

All the recommendations here so far have been good. Dennis Johnson is my favorite of them (though I suggest his newer book, Walking with Jesus through His Word, over Him We Proclaim), but his isn't really a technical, how-to-preach book.

David Murray's Jesus on Every Page isn't a how-to book either. It's good, but seems to be written to try to convince preachers to like the Old Testament and start preaching from it. I appreciated what Murray said, but didn't learn much that was new or come to see anything I didn't already believe.

Sidney Greidanus is now the old master of the Christ-in-your-sermon authors. Preaching Christ from the Old Testament will give you a good amount of step-by-step methodology (toward the end of the book) for preparing an Old Testament sermon that is Christ-centered. He doesn't address narrative preaching only, but most of his examples come from narrative passages. His Preaching Christ from Genesis is a follow-up book that is stronger in several ways: it gives narrative-based examples and simplifies his original methodology.

You might also take a look at Bryan Chapell's Christ-Centered Preaching. He doesn't limit his method to the Old Testament or to narrative passages, but the book leans in that direction and presents clear, step-by-step directions for crafting a sermon. He has only one chief method for getting to Christ from a passage of Scripture, whereas Greidanus offers seven or eight.

And if you think it might be helpful, message me and I'll share chapter 6 of Show Them Jesus with you. It's written for children's Sunday school teachers rather than for preachers, so you may find it too simplistic or not specific enough about crafting a sermon. But it is directly about Old Testament narratives, and people have told me it ended up being helpful for sermon prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back