Ben Shaprio on grace, repentance, and piety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member

Politically speaking, I am like-minded with Ben Shapiro in many areas. When it comes to theology I have stark differences with Shapiro's orthodox Judaism. This 11 minute video reveals Shapiro's understanding of grace, repentance, and piety. Shapiro basically admits that Judaism is a works-based religion but accuses Christianity of back-dooring works into its belief system. It is very interesting to hear his reasoning. While it doesn't lessen my appreciation for Shapiro's conservative politics, it does explain some of his world view.

It is strange you should post this one, Bill, because I am just after reading Philippians 3:1-11 in private worship this morning. Both this passage and your post are a timely reminder of how far Judaical moralising is from the gospel. Also, see the below video for what Ben Shapiro thinks of Christ. None of these points, however, detract from Mr Shapiro's usefulness as a political or cultural commentator. And, to be fair to him, he does employ various Christians and has defended evangelicals (including Vice-President Pence) from unfair attacks by secular Leftists.

It is strange you should post this one, Bill, because I am just after reading Philippians 3:1-11 in private worship this morning. Both this passage and your post are a timely reminder of how far Judaical moralising is from the gospel. Also, see the below video for what Ben Shapiro thinks of Christ. None of these points, however, detract from Mr Shapiro's usefulness as a political or cultural commentator. And, to be fair to him, he does employ various Christians and has defended evangelicals (including Vice-President Pence) from unfair attacks by secular Leftists.

Daniel,

Good morning.

I cannot speak for the U.K. but in the U.S. many Christians place a great deal of trust and *ahem* faith in their political heroes. This is most apparent in the recent general election. It can be an eye opener when we investigate the theological world view of these heroes.

Have a blessed day.

I'd rather have Ben Shapiro on my team than David French!

True that. It's hard to simultaneously say you believe in conservative values and defend Drag Queen Story Hour.

Shapiro is one of the best natural debaters there is. His "rhetoric" has helped me tremendously in personal communication.

I thought it was sad that Shapiro quoted from Maimonides several times, but not once from Scripture that I can recall.

How can an orthodox Jew, who by definition hates and rejects Christ, be useful in cultural regeneration? Only the Gospel will rebuild our societies. They were built on Christianity, that is what made them the pinnacle of Civilisation. Talmudism and Christ-rejection will not cure our societies of their current sickness. Christ-rejection is what has caused the current sickness. And Ben Shapiro particularly has not been a voice for American regeneration. His loyalty and priority is the Zionist state. He advocates policies which have wrecked American cultural hegemony and vitality- extreme free market economics and liberal immigration policies to name two of the most egregious- whilst advocating what is essentially a program of ethnic cleansing in Palestine. He advocates policies for the Zionist state, expecting the American taxpayer to fund them, which he argues against in America. When the voice of American conservatism is an orthodox Jew who has lived his entire life in Hollywood (with the exception of when he studied at Harvard) and has never actually had a proper job; who has lived off, first his parents' wealth and now the wealth of millionaire neo-cons (who subsidy his media company), something has gone very wrong.

Last edited:
How can an orthodox Jew who therefore by definition hates and rejects Christ be useful in cultural regeneration?

The same way the apostle Paul can quote a near pantheistic poet to make a point about the doctrine of God. No one is saying we should implement all of Shapiro's policies (whatever they are). We just think on politics he makes better points than The Gospel Coalition.

How can an orthodox Jew, who by definition hates and rejects Christ, be useful in cultural regeneration? Only the Gospel will rebuild our societies. They were built on Christianity, that is what made them the pinnacle of Civilisation. Talmudism and Christ-rejection will not cure our societies of their current sickness. Christ-rejection is what has caused the current sickness. And Ben Shapiro particularly has not been a voice for American regeneration. His loyalty and priority is the Zionist state. He advocates policies which have wrecked American cultural hegemony and vitality- extreme free market economics and liberal immigration policies to name two of the most egregious- whilst advocating what is essentially a program of ethnic cleansing in Palestine. He advocates policies for the Zionist state, expecting the American taxpayer to fund them, which he argues against in America. When the voice of American conservatism is an orthodox Jew who has lived his entire life in Hollywood (with the exception of when he studied at Harvard) and has never actually had a proper job; who has lived off, first his parents' wealth and now the wealth of millionaire neo-cons (who subsidy his media company), something has gone very wrong.

I agree with the substance of what you are saying. For the reasons that you have mentioned, I believe that he is vastly overrated. Still, some of his arguments against Leftists are useful. He might help you red-pill students on abortion or gay marriage but I tend to think that is where his usefulness ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back