Bema / Judgment Seat of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoergon

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,
I am looking for reformed sources on the Bema Seat of Christ with particular attention to refute, explicitly or implicitly, the following equivocated school of thought:

"Some Bible teachers view the judgment seat as a place of intense sorrow, a place of terror, and a place where Christ display all the believer’s sins (or at least those unconfessed) before the entire resurrected and raptured church. Some go even further by stating that Christians must experience some sort of suffering for their sins at the time of this examination" - Samuel L. Hoyt

I am particularly looking forward to refuting the erroneous affirmation that, besides rewarding Christians for faithfulness, the Bema seat of Christ will also be punitive (disciplinary). Such affirmation is grounded in many verses, but particularly:

1Cor 3:15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. They teach that, not only the false works will be burned, but also the Christian.

Luke 12:46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful. 47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. 48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

So, besides any sources on the Bema seat of Christ, I would appreciate sources that explain the Luke passage while discussing:
a. Who are the servants (christians, jews etc.);
b. beating (is it an earthly discipline of God upon those whom He loves or some other interpretation?).

Hello Nathan,

Look over the parallel passage in Matthew 24:48 along with the Lucan passage in the commentary on this by John Calvin. In Matt 24:48 the Lord calls that man an "evil servant"--so we are talking about punishments in Hell and not of believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back