Believe UNTO salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi friends, I'm wrestling with something and wanted to get your insight.

I have done quite a bit of examination lately in the ordo salutis, and I certainly believe that regeneration does preceed faith. Yet I know of certain ones who make an appeal to a very significant preposition in the New Testament which (atleast on the cover) seem to insinuate repentance and/or faith as preceeding regeneration. Expressions such as "repentance UNTO life" as found in Acts 11:18, for instance, or "the power of God UNTO salvation to everyone that believeth" in Rom. 1:16 potentially leave the impression that repentance/faith come first.

However, I'm not so sure that these expressions are meant to convey a certain order, either chronologically or logically, in how things transpire in our new birth. Rather, I think they are simply suggesting that repentance/faith are inseparably yoked to regeneration.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

It would seem as though some persons try to make prepositions do much more work than they were intended to do.

Repentance is an outcome of regeneration. One cannot seek God without it. He will not nor will he sense a need for it without it.

Expressions such as "repentance UNTO life" as found in Acts 11:18, for instance, or "the power of God UNTO salvation to everyone that believeth" in Rom. 1:16 potentially leave the impression that repentance/faith come first.

I take these references to "life" and "salvation" as being in the full sense of eternal life and complete salvation. You could term it the eschatological sense of "life" and "salvation." I believe it is a mistake to equate these terms as used here with regeneration, as if one repented or believed unto regeneration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back