Being who God wants you to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
Sorry, but I'm not sure what forum to post this topic. This one seemed the best one suited?

Lately I've been thinking about life and my life in particular. I'll post a little about myself (very brief!).

I've grown up with Christian parents and in the Evangelical Free / Baptist church. During my teens I had doubts about salvation and my parents and I went through the whole sinner's prayer together. It wasn't till I was 23 that my mom talked with me about heaven and hell and again I wasn't sure about my state. My parents went out after the talk for groceries and I stayed home. I went to my room and, instead of my parents and I praying together, I would pray to God and pray 'the sinner's prayer' myself to God. I did and when they got home I told them. It wasn't long after that that I got baptised in the church -- some months later.

Fast forward to about 4 or 5 years ago (I'm 39 now). I joined a bible study where more reformed doctrine was talked about and books were very much encouraged to read. It was there I got into reading. The book that set me off on my reformed walk (if I can call it that?) was Pilgrim's Progress. I saw in that book the reality of Christianity, that Christianity is no cake-walk (just go to church and you're good, in the thumbs up sense). From there I looked at things differently. I also at that study was challenged to look into the sinner's prayer a little more...that it's not found in the bible. While there may be arguments here on the board, I don't know. That discussion can be for another thread!

Over time I got into reading reformed authors. Owen, a Brakel, Lloyd-Jones, Machen and lately into John Murray and various Banner of Truth books. (As well as the Westminster Standards that I bought from Banner of Truth. It was through that and various other books that I've been leaning more towards Presbyterianism. Very interesting. And no we don't have a good church like that here where I live.)

Right this morning I read this from Iain Murray's book Revival and Revivalism. I was thinking about this topic last night and in reading this, thought to post on here. It's on page 48:

"'Of a large frame' and 'almost a Knox in boldness, energy and decision', McMillan was being prepared by God to be a leader among churches to be formed over 300 miles inland...".

Looking at my life I wonder, and I get thoughts and doubts, if I'm the person God wants me to be in all my failures and everything. So here is the question: Can you mess up so bad that God is like, "You really blew it. I was going to do something special but that was really bad. It can't happen now."

A good example is Samson. Here is one of the Judges who really did things wrong. The theological question is: Did God in His sovereignty work out Samson's life and "nod" as it were to his failures so that no matter what happened, Samson's life would be full of failures as a model, as a teaching instrument for God's people or could have Samson's life, if he "did better", be more used of God than he was? See those two options? I struggle with that.

Sorry for the long post.

But going back to that Murray quote above, note that it says "prepared by God". Is it possible for life, according to our eyes, to look like things are just really bad but according to God to be on par with what is pleasing to Him?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Hi Steven,
I'm just running out of the house, so I have to be very brief, but I wanted to give you a quick, but I hope not simplistic answer. Romans 8:28 teaches that all things work together for good to those who are in Christ Jesus. The entire universe and every atom in it, every human being, every animal every cold you get, yea even Satan himself, even every sin of yours are infallibly caused to always work together for your good.

Got to run but I would start with this fact.

Edit: Samson judged Israel for 20 years, so there is a lot of information about his tenure that we are not told. We should not assume that he was a failed man.

A solid understanding of God's decrees and providence is a big help to us here: "The decrees of God are, his eternal purpose, according to the counsel of his will, whereby, for his own glory, he hath foreordained whatsoever comes to pass" (WSC 7); "God’s works of providence are, his most holy, wise, and powerful preserving and governing all his creatures, and all their actions" (WSC 11).

To believe that God would look at one of our sins and change his mind about the way he pleases to use us is to implicitly deny the fact that everything we do, either good or bad, is part of his plan. There is nothing you will ever do that will surprise him; furthermore, everything you will ever do is part of his eternal decree. Even Samson's rebellion served God's glory, and what happened in the end was precisely God's plan for Samson.

Now, we must be careful here. That all our actions are within God's decree is no license for laxity in our conduct. It also does not mean God will not chastise rebellious children (cf. Heb. 12). But even such chastisement is in his good providence and plan. We ought to strive "to be what God wants us to be," as revealed and indicated by his Word. If such is our heart's desire, then God's providence is a great comfort to us: whatever our failings may be—and there are many, even daily—they do not surprise, hinder, or thwart God's plan concern us individually in any way whatsoever.

Thank you both for your answers. I know these things (I believe God is 100% sovereign) it's just these thoughts come up in my head you know. It's been one of my struggles. You know something but then this thing comes up...

Looking at my life I wonder, and I get thoughts and doubts, if I'm the person God wants me to be in all my failures and everything. So here is the question: Can you mess up so bad that God is like, "You really blew it. I was going to do something special but that was really bad. It can't happen now."

...A good example is Samson. Here is one of the Judges who really did things wrong. The theological question is: Did God in His sovereignty work out Samson's life and "nod" as it were to his failures so that no matter what happened, Samson's life would be full of failures as a model...
These things are beyond us to search out! It’s good to turn outside of ourselves to Christ and not waste time speculating on what could have been (which can only come from a flawed human perspective). Our God is in the heavens and does whatsoever he pleases. What a wonderful story of his power and sovereignty in your life! Rejoice in the truth he has brought you into (who could have done this but God) and look to him to sanctify and keep you, and make you increasingly bear fruit for his kingdom in your home and your local church and your vocation.

The book of Ecclesiastes has always been very settling and grounding and encouraging for me. What does the Lord require of us? It’s pretty simple really (not always easy because we do want our own way). He has good things for his children.

Stephen,

Take a look at what I wrote another thread and see if that encourages you to more of what you seem to be hungering for.
https://puritanboard.com/threads/walking-cheerfully-glorifies-god.98561/#post-1204874

These things are beyond us to search out! It’s good to turn outside of ourselves to Christ and not waste time speculating on what could have been (which can only come from a flawed human perspective). Our God is in the heavens and does whatsoever he pleases. What a wonderful story of his power and sovereignty in your life! Rejoice in the truth he has brought you into (who could have done this but God) and look to him to sanctify and keep you, and make you increasingly bear fruit for his kingdom in your home and your local church and your vocation.

The book of Ecclesiastes has always been very settling and grounding and encouraging for me. What does the Lord require of us? It’s pretty simple really (not always easy because we do want our own way). He has good things for his children.

Thank you kindly again! God has been doing some great things indeed so I give Him praise and glory! Thank you Ed for that other post. That was a great encouragement. And Jeri I'll be taking a look into Ecclesiastes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back