Beholding Another's Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmenas

Puritan Board Freshman
I commit and struggle with the sin of self-righteousness, when, at school, beholding prodigious sin.

Robert Murray M'Cheyne once said, "For every look at self, take ten looks at Christ."

I append to this to make it, "For every look at another's sin, take ten looks at self, and for every look at self, take ten looks at Christ."

Whenever I behold another's sin now, I make it a time for self-examination and confession of my own sins before God.

I, a poor wretched sinner, deserving of unquenchable hell-fire, am saved by the sovereign grace of God alone, through faith alone (granted by Him), by the atoning blood of Christ Jesus, God the Son, alone.

From Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions:
8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

Edit:
Matthew 7:1-5 AV/KJV said:
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Last edited:
May your efforts to this end be fruitful and your prayers profitable.

What a timely reminder for me to read, I shall commit this to memory as best I can this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back