Be Glad You Don't Live in Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
A house a couple of blocks from me is for rent.

Four tiny bedrooms and three tiny bathrooms.

$3,600 per month.

$43,200 per year. . .to rent a house.

That's why my wife and I share a house with my six children, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren. And we live in San Bernardino!

A house a couple of blocks from me is for rent.

Four tiny bedrooms and three tiny bathrooms.

$3,600 per month.

For a fun comparison, I live in Eastern North Carolina. I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house that's about 2000 sq. ft. on a 1½ acre lot. Our mortgage is about $850 per month and our property taxes are about $900 annually.

Average house price where I live in Canada is near $700,000.

You’re looking at a mortgage between $3000-$4000, unless you have hundreds of thousands to put down.

Average house price where I live in Canada is near $700,000.

You’re looking at a mortgage between $3000-$4000, unless you have hundreds of thousands to put down.

Back in the Olden Times (1960s-early 1970s), when houses around here were worth $10,000-$15,000, you could buy TWO houses and have money left over for what it costs to rent the place I speak of in the OP for a year.

But then, what I call the Great Adjustment came in the mid-70s, and houses that were worth $18,000 were suddenly worth $80,000 and up, leading to where we are today. My parents bought a house in 1968 for $18,000. They sold it in 1985 or so for $90,000. They moved to the Sacramento area, bought a house for cash and put the rest in the bank.

Living in northern Virginia, people move west or north to live in single family homes or stay in condos or townhouses.

The house I bought in 1986 in Mississippi cost more than that.

Houses around here were affordable until about 2014 when Californians flooded in with all that money they needed to spend from selling their houses there and prices doubled in a matter of months causing a resulting massive increase in taxes. We need to ship all those liberal Californians back where they came from.

Houses around here were affordable until about 2014 when Californians flooded in with all that money they needed to spend from selling their houses there and prices doubled in a matter of months causing a resulting massive increase in taxes. We need to ship all those liberal Californians back where they came from.
Exactly what happened here along the Front Range, though it started a tad earlier. A lot was from those seeking pot that was newly legalized.

I am hoping to move from California to a different state for school. I feel like I'm going to have to conceal my Californianness to avoid the glares.

I think that sort of thing is happening in a small part in Lexington. At least in my area. We bought our house in 2014. There were houses for sale in our neighborhood ranging from 90k-175k. All were 1950s houses. As the original owners move or die, people are buying the houses, renovating and selling for a great profit. Over the past 2 years a few have sold for over 300k And one for close to 500k. My property taxes showed the result of these sales this year...

Isn't there a traditional Jewish prayer that goes something like, "I thank thee that I am neither a Gentile, a slave, or a southern Californian"? :lol:

If you move to Texas, you're supposed to say, "I wasn't born here, but I got here as quick as I could."
Honestly I do like living in California. It is a beautiful state, even though it's expensive. I love that i have beaches, mountains, deserts, forests, etc all within a couple hours' drive. And it's not humid in the summer.

I am hoping to move from California to a different state for school. I feel like I'm going to have to conceal my Californianness to avoid the glares.

You will not be able to hide your California-ness from people! I only have to talk for a few moments with someone from CA and I know they are from there. You guys have a special kind of weirdness to your personality lol.

You will not be able to hide your California-ness from people! I only have to talk for a few moments with someone from CA and I know they are from there. You guys have a special kind of weirdness to your personality lol.
This is true. My wife and I are both from California. She’s been in the Midwest for nearly 12 years and is too Midwestern when she goes back to SoCal. I was raised in the boondocks of NorCal. There’s a HUGE difference between the two. It was very red where I came from. I thank God my mom is from Alabama and that we went back often. I left California when I was 19 and have only been back two or three times. I don’t want to go back. My folks lost their home in the Recession and went back to Alabama. My whole family is out there. I’d much rather live in Dixie or in the Pacific Northwest (where my family roots are). I’ve lived in a lot of different places and would call most of them home before going back to California. Oy vey.

When the market crashes (it will sooner or later) a lot of former millionaires will be kicking themselves they didn't sell and move to the great state of Florida.

Last edited:
Being an old guy I can't stop thinking of prices in terms of what they were in the late '60s, early '70s. People are paying for a car or pickup truck what they used to pay for a house. Insanity. The whole world lieth in the wicked one.

Well sure. I frequently say that a dollar is worth a dime ... in 1960s currency. In '72 a Colt model 1911 government model blue sold for $135.00 full retail in a gun shop. A Ford Ranger XLT was $3600.00. A pack of Camel non filters was $0.30 ! Times those amounts by 20 and you have an approximate value of what these things sell for today. So I have to reassess my dollar worth a dime ... it ain't but a nickel ! :tumbleweed:

Well sure. I frequently say that a dollar is worth a dime ... in 1960s currency. In '72 a Colt model 1911 government model blue sold for $135.00 full retail in a gun shop. A Ford Ranger XLT was $3600.00. A pack of Camel non filters was $0.30 ! Times those amounts by 20 and you have an approximate value of what these things sell for today. So I have to reassess my dollar worth a dime ... it ain't but a nickel ! :tumbleweed:
I feel like that could make a nice country western song. I’m thinking mid-60s Waylon Jennings or Merle Haggard styled. Conway Twitty would’ve done a ballad type cover.

Back in the Olden Times (1960s-early 1970s), when houses around here were worth $10,000-$15,000, you could buy TWO houses and have money left over for what it costs to rent the place I speak of in the OP for a year.

But then, what I call the Great Adjustment came in the mid-70s, and houses that were worth $18,000 were suddenly worth $80,000 and up, leading to where we are today. My parents bought a house in 1968 for $18,000. They sold it in 1985 or so for $90,000. They moved to the Sacramento area, bought a house for cash and put the rest in the bank.

My parents bought the house I grew up in for 70,000 in 1969. According to Zillow, it is now worth 583,000.

We are in South Florida. Depending on the county it's either crazy expensive or affordable. We just bought our house, 3/2, concrete, on a cul-de-sac, awesome neighborhood, tile roof, .38 of an acre, and ten minutes from the beach. We paid $145,000. We are very grateful and have been given much more than we deserve.

If you are paying $2700 for an ordinary Colt 1911, you are shopping in the wrong store.
Heh, heh, yeah, I exaggerated a bit @ X 20 ... but not X 10 . Add to that, there are plenty of guys (I'm not one of them) who are buying 1911 style pistols from Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and a couple of others that are in the 3 grand range. Pickups can go $40-70 thousand easily, and something like a Corvette ..... you've got to be a millionaire, or spend like one if you're driving a new one off the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back